Most overly dramatic characters and scenes

• Members

These were the first two I thought of when it came to being overdramatic lol. I feel like both the actresses and the show knew when to tone down the theatrics however and it was played for laughs. Lucy got completely overdramatic in the vampire years of Port Charles though.

Like what are either of them going for here lol. Awful. Between him turning into the vampire and the loud af breathing and her rubbing his head while yelling/comforting him, it's too [!@#$%^&*] much. 

I can't find the scene now, but when Marty shoved Natalie off the roof on OLTL. Completely absurd and OTT. 

That Brenda clip....whew LOL.

Edited by AdelaideCate007

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Sometimes I think her throaty voice covered up the times she went over the top compared to others, because she never sounds shrill.  But in her defense, it was rare I felt this way, and Tracy is not a quiet character.

What amazes me is when they get it so right.  I can’t think of a single scene in the BJ’s heart storyline that I felt anyone went too far.  Even folks like Tony, Frisco, and Felicia, who were not challenged by grounded dramatic material very often, really did good work.  The scene with Felicia and Bobbie, when she realizes it was BJ’s heart that saved Maxie, could have gone way off the rails.  But both of them had dramatic reactions to each other that didn’t go over the top.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

This performance has peaks and valleys, portions of it are really sad, while other portions just seem overly done, had Lucci just picked one emotion instead of going all over the map I think this could have been a devastating reel. 

00-:45 is a perfect encapsulation of loss

:46 -1:26  psychological break / I'm not ready to say goodbye, anger towards anyone who will take her away from me 

1:26 - 1:45  Mother is now alive and trapped in the coffin? 

Too many transitions. Had Lucci played one emotion straight or made one transition this would have worked. But she flips too much within too short of a timespan and it becomes overwrought. 

• Members

The most overly dramatic character I can think of right now is Elena on Y&R.  She bursts into tears at the drop of a hat.  She is a really weak woman.  How did she ever graduate from med school? I love the topics at this website.  I'm done with Soap Central.  I got tired of them deleting my threads for no reason. 

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I don't have the video, but it was Elizabeth Hubbard on The Doctors when Dr. Althea Davis went blind due to her millionth traumatic head injury. This was in 1976, I believe. She was alone in her apartment, banging into things, wailing. It was awful and laughable. Liz Hubbard can usually sell just about anything, but this wasn't one of those times. It was so bad, I made a meme out of it:

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I think KKL's been able to sell most of the ridiculous stuff she's been asked to play over the years, but the scene where Brooke finds the letter of apology Stephanie wrote to her after she, however unwittingly, set up Brooke's rape, is a notable exception. She wails, flails her arms and ends up having a Scarlett O'Hara-moment where she declares that she will get through this and get her life back (or something similar). And although KKL is a perfectly fine soap-actress, Vivien Leigh she ain't....  

Please register in order to view this content