Most overly dramatic characters and scenes

• Members

Soaps are obviously supposed to be dramatic, but if the characters and scenes are done too melodramatic it can get funny. I was re-watching some old B&B clips of when Eric woke up from the coma after his heart attack and Donna was super dramatic. Stephanie had Thorne put her out the house and she yelling "I'M NEVER GIVING UP US! NEVER! NEVER!". That made me laugh so hard and now I'm interested in other overly dramatic scenes and characters, so please share.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Stefano fighting the demon during Marlena's possession on DAYS

Joe Mascolo gave it his all, but I can't help but chuckle every time I watch it. Definitely needed some Wonder Bread to go with that ham and cheese 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Lots of soaps had characters that were larger than life, but the great ones knew how to walk that line.

On GH both Lucy and Tiffany could go over the top and had characterizations that were larger than life.  But I always felt they managed to reign it in.  Tony Geary used to be able too as well, until he became miserable shouty Luke during the latter JFP era.

Lucinda on ATWT was forgiven for sometimes hammy work.  For example, I never saw Larry Bryggman go anywhere near the camp of Hubbard.  I also think Kim Zimmer steps over the line on GL quite often.

Susan Lucci owns this type of thing.  It might have been in character, but that funeral was totally campy and lacking in grief completely.  I didn’t think so back then as much, but in isolation it really does scream over the top in a soap way.  It could have been an Emmy clip from Soapdish.

The scenes with Lily and Iva where she learns her parentage are so over the top from Lily, and yet Iva is there barely emoting, which creates this strange scene to watch.

Edited by titan1978