te.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'd say it's more because this is something that simply can't be remade. Even the original show burned out very quickly. There are many films and dramas about a housewife cracking up - they may as well try one of those. I also feel it's sad to see Louise Lasser's work deemed immaterial enough to be casually remade by some woman on a Pop sitcom.

Norman Lear did a good revival of One Day at a Time (frankly, I'd say it was better than the original), but Mary Hartman is a different story.

• Members

I love Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman to death, but it's just a show that was a product of its era. It was a commentary on what was going on in that time and place, and I just don't see what's going on in today's world translating into a soap opera satire the same way. You just can't use today's "issues" the same way they used that time's "issues." So many of the characters from MHMH just don't exist in today's world.

Also, the show was an incredibly slow-moving soap, which was something good and sometimes not-so-good. Nobody makes stuff like that anymore.

Edited by All My Shadows