Days: November 2020 Discussion Thread

• Members

I can't agree with you there. This might have been true back in the Jensen Ackles/Kyle Lowder era (when frankly most of the younger characters had poorly-defined personalities). But I think Eric Martsolf has given Brady an extremely distinct personality. He's an addict--specifically a sex addict--and he acts recklessly and impulsively in a way Eric would not. And Martsolf plays that kind of troubled son and wounded boyishness so well, it's easy to forget that he's nearly 50 years old. 

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Totally get what you are saying, but will disagree.  Brady being an addict is a big thing.  But Eric also became an addict that actually killed someone under the influence.  Obviously not a sex addict (which I think Brady is more of a 'love' addict than a sex addict).  I wouldn't call Eric reckless, but both Brady and Eric make dumb, irrational decisions a lot.

I find both GV and EM to be competent and attractive, but they pretty much both follow the role of bland leading man.        I actually thought JA/KL's Eric/Brady, respectively, were much further apart in personality.  Jensen's Eric was clearly a young hero, while KL's Brady tended to be unlikeable and borderline awful at times.

• Members

Good point. I wasn't watching during the "drunk Eric kills Dr. Jonas" storyline, so I totally forgot about that one. 

I think Greg Vaughan is pretty much the definition of the bland soap hunk, but I like Martsolf's performance a lot better than you seem to. He brings quite a bit of humor to it, and he sparks with most of his female scene partners (which might be why Brady keeps hooking up with so many different women!)

• Members

I actually do think EM brings more humor and a bit more charm than GV does (I did like his Lucky on GH though).  I do think EM does tend to have some chemistry with his female leads, but his romantic partners are so random (Melanie, Chloe, Nicole, Madison, Kristen, Theresa, Arianna Sr., Eve, I am sure I am forgetting people-that's a lot of interests).  I don't even know what I would call Brady's type except a female that's pretty and willing lol.  I also appreciate the fact that EM's Brady is more believable as John's son than KL's Brady was.  Like seriously, how did Isabella and John have a fair, blonde kid that looked like KL?

I would say Galen Gering is my epitome of boring, bland soap hunk that's barely passable in all aspects.  GV rises just above that.  And I do get the vibe that GV's Eric could be Marlena's son.  Sami's twin?  Not so much.  JA's Eric was much more believable as that and closer looks wise.

I guess I just feel like Eric and Brady need more of a dichotomy in personality to make them more dynamic as rivals/brothers.  And they truly shouldn't be rivals at all because Brady was born like 10 years after Eric.  Sami used to babysit baby Brady.

• Members

It's only basically the best thing Eric ever did.

I think that's the advantage of them being closer to the airing/filming date - I feel like when they were 8 months ahead it was easier for people involved with the show to let things "slip" since they had lived with it so long and it was old news for them. We still don't know what Gwen's motives are (and they haven't showed up in spoilers either), though there's been pretty heavy anvil dropping that she might be Jack's daughter.

• Members

That would’ve been a good tie in. It would’ve explained why she had such a problem with the Hortons. And to see her trading barbs with Julie would have been great.

A lot of kid characters were forgotten. I feel bad for Justin and Adrienne’s other sons lol 

• Members

LOL at Ron frantically retconning Ava's backstory so that it makes a lick of sense. I especially liked that 2015 convent scene where Kristen is telling Ava, "Yeah, I never understood why you didn't just tell Steve you had a son with him in the first place."

Speaking of Steve and Kayla, I am loving their arguments over the Tripp situation. It feels very real and raw, and both of them are making valid points. 

• Members

I honestly think Steve is being a jerk.  Especially with Kayla being a rape victim.  We have no reason not to believe Allie (even though I know there's a twist).  I feel like she is being unfairly forced to talk to her believed rapist all the time.  But I do think MBE and SN do real conflict very well, much better than supervillain/brainwash nonsense.

• Members

I think Steve's in a very tough spot. He's essentially being torn between his wife and the irrefutable evidence (yeah there's definitely gonna be a twist) and his son who swears that he's innocent. It's like a lose-lose situation for him. Whichever way he goes, he going to hurt somebody that he loves. And I think SN is playing that really well. Same goes for MBE. They're writing her very well too.

But yeah, the writing for Tripp and Allie could be better. Seriously, why is he going to see her so much? Just stay away, Tripp.

• Members

I agree.  I am not sure how I want Steve to play this, but not like this?  Arguing with John, steadfastly believing his son who has done wrong before, and arguing with Kayla just doesn't seem like the right angle to go with.  Kayla having Allie wait for Tripp before getting DNA results does feel like we are marginalizing the victim.  Again, obviously, there is something coming up to change these feelings, but it feels really unfair to Allie.  But at this very moment we have no reason not to believe Allie's version of events.

All that being said, MBE and SN always deliver great, believable work.

Lani constantly defending Kristen. Is beyond annoying. I know Days wouldn't go there. But Lani developing lesbian feelings. Would be an interesting way to go.  Elani deserve better than this Kristen #$@&%*!  Cady and Casey have really good mother and son chemistry. Loving Gwen. She's came from nowhere. And quickly became a captivating character. 

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

Whatever happened to them, are they ever mentioned at all? I remember Adrienne talking about it them during that weird 2007 stint when she was mainly just a talk to character for Steve & Kayla, I found it odd that Sonny wasn’t any of the three established sons they had lol.

• Members

Oh, if only they would go there with Lani! Or, at the least, they should up the reason why Lani defends her...maybe Kristen actually saved her life at some point. Although, I usually do enjoy their friendship.

I agree about Cady and Casey. I know a lot of people love MR, but I'm not missing her. Jennifer feels interesting again! But, when is the story beat going to be played that Kate is Lucas' mother and Lucas is Jennifer's half-brother. Lots of conflict there. It at least deserves a few scenes.

Gwen is AWESOME. I hope they keep her around. With Sami gone, we need someone who stirs the pots of other people's lives.

• Members

Apparently, all three of them were in Arizona starting up their company.

Sonny was established an established character though. When Justin and Adrienne left in 1991, she was pregnant with him. But Alexander, Victor and Joey haven't been seen since they were babies. They're literally blank slates.

The more I think about it, Xander should have been Alexander. They could have really played up the idea that he never felt part of Justin and Adrienne's family since he was Angelica's child, which could have explained why he was such a villain when he first came on the show. Also, they could have played the tension between him and Sonny, cause I remember Sonny saying once that when he first came out, Alexander didn't accept him. Also, also, for a short time around 1989-1990, Alexander was supposed to be Victor's legacy. It would have made more sense for Xander to be Alexander rather than creating another random nephew for Victor.

Edited by AbcNbc247