Days: November 2020 Discussion Thread

• Members

They were even setting it up to be a thing in 1986 when Marlena was fainting on her and RoJohn's honeymoon.  Obviously, that's where the Gemini Twins story should have gone, but I wouldn't want lame Rex and Cassie to be their kids at all. Honestly, though, Jarlena have enough family running around Salem as is and post-1999 it would have been just small, temporary conflict for Jarlena to have another kid if any at all.  Marlena barely batted an eye at Paul being John's.

I guess.  It still seems short-sighted.  Even if they were aged up.  Marlena had Belle who should be a year or so older than Will and Hope had Ciara who is the same age as Claire.  They should have been given at least one kid.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

why would you tell an actress the acting on the show she loves and works on is bad?  LOL. Of course she bit your head off! 

I love Martha as Belle. Kirsten grated on my nerves.

I'd take Jason Cook back any day as much as I have grown to love Brandon in the role.

I don't agree Martha looks matronly. To each their own

Please register in order to view this content

I guess the ages don't bother me because everyone is kinda fucked up when it comes to their ages. I agree it was a mistake to age Belle so much in 1999. But we keep forgetting Philip was aged too. Also way too much. I mean, Jay isn't exactly fresh faced ... but let's call out Martha.

I like Martha because she didn't flee from DAYS for a 'step up' at General Hospital and she actually cherishes having a job there and she loves and supports the show. I also think she's a better actress than Kirsten Storms.

I mean, I still cling to Heather Tom as Victoria Newman so I get it, but Kirsten's never coming back.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Agreed

It was really unlucky for Doug and Julie that right when they were reunited, the younger characters mandate came down. They could have definitely had a child under Ann Marcus' tenure but instead the writers chose to make David a parent.

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

Thank you. The ageism is irritating me too. Kirsten and Martha are 7 years apart. Martha has always gotten the short end of the stick from people who cling to Kirsten for some reason. Kirsten played Belle from 1999-2004. Martha's been playing Belle for 16 years. Not consecutively of course but still.

Sorry I just think Pettis was overrated, but yes you didn't forget he had autism. He did good work. I just don't think some recasts are given a fair shot because, for one reason or another, we cling to who played the character previously. I beat the dead horse that is Amelia Heinle and Heather Tom. So I get it.

And I agree with Carl, David and Mike's aging up really screwed things up all the way back then. It's a hot mess now. It is what it is at this point. I'd love to fix it all (Belle, Brady and Abby should be the same age and contemporaries - Belle is a year younger of course). Just a reminder that Philip and Will should be the same age.

Agreed too. Mike and David were aged up way too much and it ultimately, to me, helped kill those characters and really aged up Doug/Julie and Bill/Laura, basically putting them entirely out to pasture.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

It's such a mess. LOL. 

I'm still annoyed Jarlena don't have their 1986 kid. But I guess at the same time, they have enough family, LOL. 

It's startling to realize how many missed opportunities soaps have wasted over the decades.

LOL

Please register in order to view this content

The truth hurts. Look at the show right now. Hot mess that I have little interest in.

Meanwhile ...

Remember when Kristen and Lani's bizarre friendship was almost entirely forgotten about? Can we go back to that time?

Edited by KMan101

• Members

It is annoying they never gave Jarlena that kid, but it would have had to happened in the early or mid 90's for it to have true impact.  Imagine if they found real Roman and random kid and had to figure out both identities?  J/K the Tale of Two Romans was confusing enough.

I think MM is the ultimate team player so it doesn't surprise me she was gun ho about the show in public.  Especially considering her job with Days has been pretty tenuous for years.  Also, my slam wasn't personally on MM's age or about a preference for KS.  MM looks fine for her age.  And they were styling her matronly when she was in her 20's lol.  Not her fault. Some of those bad haircuts were. She's just too old to be Belle.  EM is too old to be Brady.  The show aged them once too much then aged both of them again.  Phillip was aged too much as well, but I guess it doesn't bother me as badly because it doesn't throw things out of whack for Phillip to be closer in age to Lucas as it does for Brady/Belle to be the same age as Sami/Eric.  The Jarlena affair has a larger bearing on ages because of Sami's actions while the Phillip/Vivian/Kate thing doesn't really have relevance on Lucas's age if that makes sense?  It could have happened at any time, but Belle's birth has a specific timeline for certain characters.  

I, mean, no big deal now.  It just still annoys me.  

Agreed.  That was absolutely ridiculous and I think DH/Marlena is an ageless queen.  But she was clearly past her child bearing years lol

• Members

Regarding Belle, I think the "Grandma Belle" type comments were often down to how cold Madison was in the role. I remember they were trying to push a "hot" affair with her and JKJ's Philip around 2007 or 2008 and it just felt awkward.