Bold and Beautiful August 2020 Discussion Thread

• Members

Thomas and Fin had more sexual chemistry in their brief, socially distanced interaction than any couple tgis show is trying to make happen at the moment. Vinny better keep an eye on his man. LOL!

If Brad Bell wants to drum up some publicity and do a half way decent story that's progressive and L.A., why not make Fine bi and make a Steffy/Fin/Thomas triangle happen. I'd actually enjoy that story most for the Steffy/Thomas rivalry part of it. And the scandal.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Just a thought, but I've always coughed up Brad Bell's lack of progressive creativity and misogynistic writing due to the fact he's also writing for international audiences in countries unfortunately aren't nearly as progressive as North America and he doesn't want to do anything to alienate that audience because face it, without them, B&B wouldn't really have any legs to stand on.

• Members

On one hand, it does sound A LITTLE like one of those psychological stories that Bill Bell would have done in the 70s. 

On the other hand, I wonder if this all just an extremely stupid way to raise ratings. Because people are bound to watch just to see how ridiculous it is.

• Members

I don't think that's it. Most countries it airs in are just as progressive as/more progressive than the USA. I think it's because Brad Bell is just not very progressive himself and he doesn't really care about pushing the boundaries.

• Members

Yes, I was just going to make the same comment. The US is definitely less progressive than most of Western, Central and Northern Europe. It also doesn't help that US soaps are less progressive than the majority of primetime, cable and streaming offerings from the US. These poor soaps must seem so bland and generic to most international viewers as they do to most American viewers.  

• Members

Ahh, I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers haha. But I guess my thoughts come from mainly personal anecdotes rather than factual evidence as someone from a third-world country background where we have soaps that are very similar akin to telenovelas where the most popular and successful ones have writing that is generally formulaic and misogynistic (i.e. the good girl vs the bad girl and they're fighting over a man). I hope that makes sense? Haha

• Members

Apparently, the show also aired in Iran for a brief time (in 2009 according to wikipedia). It was also broadcast in Morocco, Pakistan, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, the Philippines, and a few Sub-Saharan African countries. I know that the show was censored in Egypt (they cut scenes where people showed to much skin and even altered the opening credits to remove the pictures of the models), but the audience in these countries isn't stupid and they would notice bad writing as well. Soaps are very popular in Turkey and the Arab world (similar to telenovelas in South America).

Edited by Huntress