Daytime’s Best Criers: Actors Who Can Turn on the Waterworks

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Colleen Zenk (ATWT - Barbara) cries easily and quite naturally.

I don't watch Days enough, but I remember vividly an '80s interview of Tracey Bregman (Y&R - Lauren) where she gushed about being mentored by Diedre when she was Donna on Days (pre-Y&R).  Apparently she heard from Diedre that there is a muscle in the back of the neck that once you're trained to control it, you could cry on cue.  I know next to nothing about acting, but that just sounded so unusual and unbelievable  - and has stayed with me to this day.

• Members

I have never really enjoyed Linda Dano as an actress.

Alison Sweeney is for sure a face scrunched up and not a tear to be see kind of soap crier.  The show should write to her talents, and stop giving her highly  emotional material.

I remember once on GH, I think it was Serena’s birthday, or Scotty had sent Lucy a photo or video of her, and she was just sobbing.  Tears, red face, snot, the works.  I had always liked Lucy’s antics and thought she was a capable actress.  But I was blown away by those scenes.  I really appreciated GH for letting us see the depths of Lucy without taking away the parts of her that were fun to watch.

• Members

Deidre Hall can really shine when given the material. These days, all these dime store budget villains John & Marlena are encountering couldn't muster up tears of fear on anyone. 

Sweeney, Alfonso (except when Zach died) and Susan Seaforth-Hayes, as much as I love them all, usually resort to dry heaving. Think: when everyone was "dying" in 2004 and all their dry tears in reaction. Oy.