Y&R April 2020 Discussion Thread

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

One thing that will be interesting is what I can only sloppily refer to as a ‘generational’ response to the classic episodes. 

Those who were around and watched episodes from previous eras will get a kick out of them, though it may also cause resentment over the show now, which in turn, may be magnified once everything is up an running a while down the line 

Please register in order to view this content

Then there is the much younger generation (or those who joined the show in more recently) who only know the show as is now. Those who don’t get a (different kind of) kick out of the ‘retro’ element and how much younger the leading actors looked and sounded- and maybe even a few who do, may struggle with the slower/more considered pace and how dark it looks. 

Of course it would be silly for me to speak in absolutes on this point, but it’ll be something to see how responses manifest.

Edited by LondonScribe

• Members

Oh, undoubtedly there is a certain portion of today's audience that would not like it, find it boring, too slow, too "dramatic" (whatever the f*ck that means on a soap opera) etc. They might not even be able to stand the length of a two-minute scene.

That's not to say they couldn't grow to love it, but boy does it make my blood boil.

• Members

Thank God! My mom and I have been enjoying the classic episodes, and the acting is so much better

I sort of disagree. Some of the most critically acclaimed shows are slow and dramatic. Look at Game of Thrones, Better Call Saul, and Succession. I think most people yearn for good storytelling and acting. Hell, even the Dark Knight and Marvel universe was a slow burn. I think the studios underestimate their audiences. 

• Members

No we don't disagree LOL That was the exact point I was going to make next on my post but left it out because of course there is a yearning for good storytelling and can be successful. It's why I wrote those fans would grow to love it/get used to it. 

Sadly, that doesn't change the very real fact that there are people whose idea of a good soap is what's currently airing. Like, "I hate these reruns" kinda people.

• Members

LOL ok I get you now 

Please register in order to view this content

I found myself fast forwarding everything Adam/Chelsea/Abby&Chance/Phyllis&Nick and sadly Victor/Nikki. It's a shame that they keep writing nonsense for Eric Braeden and the majority of the cast. Just continue playing classic episodes, where I happily rewind.

• Members

SOOOOOO disappointed in Theo! What is wrong with him? First off, having Kendra trying to spy and Kendra was SO obvious about it! Then even though he didn't know he was walking into a trap set by Kyle, he still thought that he stole Kyle's idea (even though it turned out to be Jack's from years ago) how did he think he would get away with it? Really, you couldn't come up with ANYTHING on your own? Pathetic!

And then Kyle's idea to me was so lackluster and super generic and Jack was like "its brilliant!" come on! Give me a break!

• Members

Horrible writing that made me cringe.

And it wasn’t just Theo cheating — it was the entire set up. Jack runs this huge company and pits these two against each other to rebrand the company??? Huh??? Nothing was interesting or intriguing about the way Theo was set up, nor was Theo’s delivery of his idea.

And then for Kyle to call out Theo for having no character or integrity? Why didn’t Theo at that point call out Kyle for hypocrisy — and name the crap Kyle has done in the past? Instead Jack gives a LAME and unbelievable dressing down to Theo.

You called it correctly on Jack praising Kyle’s idea as “riveting.” It was all so bad and ridiculous it ,ade me angry. I don’t remember when Jabot has felt less like a real company. This stuff is so, so bad.