Y&R to air classic episodes

• Members

Just watched the 1981 episode. Whoa, Vanessa is scary. If I saw her storyline live, I would probably have nightmares 

Please register in order to view this content

Bill Bell used elements of Vanessa for Stephanie but Stephanie as Bill Bell wrote her was never that scary.

Victor pretending to be the man servant  Victor and Nikki were so cute in this episode. Funny that Nikki didn't make a comment that Mr. Victor the decorator/man servant has a similar name to Victor Newman. EB was 40 and MTS was 25 in this episode. The age difference is quite apparent here, maybe that's due to early 1980s styling.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yes, at the very least they should post the episodes online and post them unedited. I can understand why they edit for broadcast but the unedited versions could be a streaming selling point ("watch online for unaired scenes!")

Then again, I am REALLY surprised they haven't just posted their whole archive on CBS AA.

• Members

Yep, and if they were smart they could have used these episodes as promotional tools to push people to watch the continuation of the stories online. A lot of the complaints I see on the Y&R Facebook page is that people can’t continue to follow the stories they get sucked into during all of these one-off classic episodes. If they had the next episodes up and ready online, they could capture that audience on a new platform. “Want to see what happens next? Watch on CBS All Access...” Or something.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

It would be nice if ratings/interest finally helped them see it'd be a good idea!

It would absolutely work! Especially Y&R which, for the longest time, was written well enough to suck you in no matter what era you watch. Once more, wasted opportunities.

Granted, they're getting it right with a lot of the selections and showing classic episodes at all. But, come on, put the library to good, actual use! (And, please, stop butchering the episodes!!!)

• Members

WOW! That episode was everything. I am officially willing to do anything to see more Lorie/Vanessa in high quality. I was glued to their screens. Was this Lance recast popular? 

I enjoyed the Nikki/Victor scenes and the comedy angle worked with I wasn't expecting and I did not know what to think of the April/Barbara twin story though I was still interested.  

I hope that if they only show classics featuring current characters that we at least get a Through the Years/Highlights package with top moments. I would love to see Phillip's death and Lorie being framed by Vanessa. Probably my top two. 

• Members

I think he left in February of 82, so this is close to some of his last work. 

Take it from me, there was tons of stuff on Y&R to scare a young person. Leslie's stint in the looney bin was very scary to me. All those hard, crazy bitches stealing her food. Vanessa was so much more imposing with the veil... but K.T. Stevens was just so damn good at this part, one of the best villains daytime ever had. 

• Members

With Dennis  Cole they decided to go with a completely different look to John McCook, which was jarring - not only a new performer who naturally presents in a different manner, but also physically is nothing like his predecessor.

I don't think anyone warmed to DC in the role.

• Members

Based on some of the jeering from some fans about old episodes being shown (although I have at least seen some other fans call these people out), I'm not expecting much of a boost or incentive to air more true classics...but I never thought they'd go back to 1981, so hopefully they will give this material a chance and air more while we're still in this - or consider putting some out on streaming or what have you.

If anyone ever told me that in 2020 CBS would be airing 1981 episodes and having Kate Linder ask viewers to watch Raiders of the Lost Ark, I would have assumed massive acid trips had become a national pasttime.