Y&R to air classic episodes

• Members

I'm so shocked that people aren't loving the classics. Everyone I've ever known who watched soaps started watching because of their mom or grandmother... half the fun was your mom telling you about the stuff that happened before you were born (invariably "back when it was GOOD") and then occasionally getting to see the odd flashback or Christmas classic episode.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Honestly I haven’t seen too many people being upset about the older episodes although I have seen some of those couple shippers wanting to see Skyle again. 

Todays Classic was fantastic! I didn’t expect to see a 1981 episode either and it was truly a classic. It was mostly characters who aren’t connected to the show now and it was nice getting a sense of Y&R in that time period. Anytime I can see more of Lorie is a good thing. Jaime Lyn Bauer was just flawless in that role and even with Dennis Cole she still carried those scenes with him. I’d love an entire week dedicated to her. I know that’s a fantasy but it would be heaven. In the end though I do hope this inspires them to put collections on All Access. B&B has the first 25 episodes. I’d love something similar for Y&R. Of course continuous episodes would be ideal but I’ll take anything. I hope the coming weeks continue to be a nice balance. 

• Members

Have you seen the retro-styled ads for The CBS Sunday Night Movies? There’s your acid trip.

I’m with you, though. Once they phased out bringing out the nostalgic reruns for the holidays in the mid-2000s, I figured that was the end of ever seeing old episodes of soaps on TV (besides SOAPnet). My outrageous wish is that they realize how terrible a full hour of The Talk hosts FaceTiming each other really is and say “Y’all want some of this ATWT from 1978?”

Back to Y&R - so much of the early stuff I see has a slight blue collar element that I love, especially when paired with the show’s glam production values. Barbara’s adopted dad today was so unlike any regulars you’d see on the show from the mid-80s on. Did the move away from less wealthy characters coincide with the phasing out of the Brooks and Fosters? Was there always a strong working class thread during the first decade (I know the Fosters were meant to represent that, but even Snapper and Greg were professionals)?

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

The 1981 episode was AMAZING. Didn't really care for Victor & Nikki, but Vanessa Prentiss was perfection. She was fascinating and so scary! I also loved the Barbara story. It's so sad that the show lost Lori, it is rather obvious that Y&R (and Edward Scott) were more interested in making Nikki the leading lady. Can you imagine Lori instead of Nikki as Mrs. Newman?  Having an affair with Jack, hating Ashley, giving birth to Victor's children? 

• Members

Someone asked a few days ago if they were preserving the original music, and they definitely are. Today's episode includes one of the original cues from the very first soundtrack album. Also, they didn't swap out the original arrangement of the opening theme for the 1988 remix like they did for Victor and Nicki's wedding.

They keep choosing these episodes based on a "theme," but then the characters that are supposed to be featured for the "theme" are barely shown lol This is a Victor/Nicki episode, but we've only seen Victor in one scene and no Nicki yet. Not complaining in the least as I'm loving seeing all of these characters and/or performers I've only heard about. First time ever seeing Terry Lester's Jack, and the difference is immediately noticeable.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

I was going to say the same thing but didn't want to sound thirsty

Please register in order to view this content

He's sexy as hell in this episode. Ellen needs to get over John's crusty ass and hop on Ron.

My hot take on Terry Lester's Jack is that he's that cocky [!@#$%^&*] that you hate yourself for being completely in lust with.

Edited by All My Shadows