Y&R to air classic episodes

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I feel your pain! They really need provide an alternative, because these interruptions are going to continue. I wish they would air the episodes on their subchannel, but I don't think Start TV is directly owned by CBS like Localish is by ABC - therefore, they probably can't interrupt regular programming on the subchannel like ABC does on Localish here when GH is preempted for press conferences. I wish they'd at least post the episodes on All Access. 

• Members

It was posted here before that Bill Bell's original plan wasn't to pair Victor and Nikki, but he changed their story when MTS became pregnant in real life. Perhaps BB's original plan was Victor/Lorie. MTS and Ed Scott weren't together until about 1984 I think; they were married in the fall of 1985.

Watching the 1987 episode. The editing is really bad, the episode doesn't really flow together. What a treat it is to see the late great Terry Lester. If I remember correctly, the last time Y&R aired a classic episode w/ TL was Christmas Day 1998 when they reaired the episode from December 23, 1988. I'm skipping the Cricket scenes. The Victor/Nikki scenes I feel like I've seen some of them online. MTS and ED were rocking that big ass 1980s hair 

Please register in order to view this content

EB was 46 here and he looks better than he did in the 1981 episode. Consider this, JM is 46 now and maybe it's late 1980s vs. 2020 styling but holy difference 

Can't wait for 1990 tomorrow, even though it's an episode I remember watching when it originally aired.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

I'm finally searching for the classics. Couldn't find any up on CBS.com so I'm trying the All Access app - I only see three, one from '84 (4/13), one from '90 (4/10) and one from '91 (4/17). Any suggestions are appreciated.

• Members

I have CBS All Access subscription through Amazon Prime, but I can't access the standalone app I have to go through Amazon Prime. I was curious if maybe Amazon wasn't updating the content, but it looks like we have the same exact content available. Although, I believe that 1990 episode you have listed is actually from 93. 

• Members

I agree. There was too much time between when a story would leave off and then pick back up again. You could tell there was something missing.

Nicki's fantasy was funny. It's crazy to see EB and (especially) MTS both completely involved in their scenes. Time and crappy repetitive writing really do take a toll on actors.

The Danny/Phillip stuff was lame, but I did like the tension building as their scenes ended. Michael Damian seemed stronger than Thom Bierdz.

• Members

After checking my summaries, it is said that Jill pleaded for Jack to get a lenient sentence. I think Terry Lester was out for a few months in 1985 and not 1986.  Apparently according to recaps, he was out from July to September 1985 amongst contract negotiations.

• Members

Lorie was the shows most popular character and Bill Bell hated losing her, but Jaime Lyn Bauer felt overworked and wanted to go. Side note, she was also offered Stephanie Forrester on B&B but turned that down. Victor and Lorie were paired and almost married, but obviously she didn’t stick around. I do wonder how things would’ve been had she stayed. They wrote her entire family out because she didn’t stay. That’s pretty big IMO. I can’t see them doing that for another family just because one person left, but she truly was the anchor. 

• Members

Nikki's dream is such a wonderful example of the psychological Y&R writing. Her dreaming of Ashley looking barely a step above a prostitute is very telling. So much info given on Nikki and her relationships to Victor/Ashley in a "silly" dream. Sigh.

As Victor and Nikki's marriage disintegrated, Nikki found out she was dying. Victor was devastated and resolved to be there for Nikki. When Nikki found out it was a mistake or s/ing, she omitted telling him she wasn't dying to keep him around. This seems to be a dream of Nikki's where an adoring Victor grieves her death/shuns a whore-y Ashley and then wants to be with her even after she's alright. (Of course, he didn't).

Yeah, you're never really going to get intense focus on one character on Y&R (unless it's Cricket? lol). Best you can hope for is memorable/seminal moments/scenes in a character's life.

Btw, it's Nikki. lol

That voice, that face, that bod. I certainly had a moment.

At this point, I think we have to assume they're not planning on putting any of it online.

Yes, they're practically butchering these episodes. You simply can't remove whole scenes, move commercial breaks and the opening titles around, and not throw off the whole episode, especially with a writer like Bell who damn well knew how to structure an episode. It would be so much better if they'd trimmed down certain scenes enough to meet time requirements but kept all of them (but that takes much more effort). And if they stopped re-editing!

EB and MTS were phenomenal for whole decades. Once the mid-2000s hit, they slowly checked out (never completely but the difference is obvious). It's why viewers who picked up Y&R in the mid-2000s often claim they're not very capable actors. Sadly,  they have no idea.