Y&R to air classic episodes

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Jeannne Cooper claimed that at one time the Chancellor mansion was the most expensive set built for daytime.  It looks so tiny now but I'm sure in the 70s compared to the Hughes living room or something it looked huge.

• Members

Seeing Alden, Houghton, Birn, Jones, Foster, and Best was bittersweet. Sally McDonald was listed as a production assistant. Incredible talent fostered and promoted from within.

Y&R, for decades, was in the Top 30 most highly rated broadcasts in Canada every week (a quick review of ratings shows it ranked within the Top 30 as recently as 2016), which includes daytime, primetime, and news.

Y&R has almost always been a news hour lead in for Global, to much success. 

You'll see a lot of it in the last episode that airs this week (Billy and Chloe's wedding). It's painted an old school robin's egg blue and could be expanded out onto the pool. 

In Jeanne's Archive of American Television interview she said the set cost $175,000 (in 1973 dollars!) to build. Diminishing that set was such a grave mistake.

Edited by DaytimeFan

• Members

I forgot about Best! Jerry Birn, who was Patty Weaver’s husband actually retired not long after this, not sure if that coincided with Lynne moving to be with her mother in Chicago with LBB’s exit or if she was victim of Smith axing’s of veteran supporters at the same time. 

Always loved Trent Jones; a long time GL script writer, he fit it so naturally at Y&R despite being an outsider out when he joined the crew in 1993.

• Members

Talk about tension.  And nothing but a dinner party, history, anger and pain fueling the whole thing.

Also- Brenda is pretty great here.  You caN see the old Jill in her panic.  It’s not just the vamping and bitchiness that she was pretty much only serving by the time she left.  I love Jess, but this Jill is very watchable.

• Members

I love it when people post scenes of Katherine being mean.

I started watching the show in the mid 1980’s, and she had a real vindictive streak that lasted into the Nina storyline.  Not just catty, she was just as awful as Jill.  I am grateful that the show knew to keep this fire alive for so long.  Probably Alden’s greatest storyline was restarting this and the creation of Mac and that dynamic.

What amazes me, is that if you look at their history, Jill should be seen with more sympathy than she is often given.  She was really young, Phillip was her first lover, Katherine pretty much killed him, and took everything from Jill (like she felt Jill was going to do to her).  I know by the late 1980’s, Jill was pretty much unsympathetic.  But Katherine was pretty awful.

• Members

The first rape was written by Bill Bell as a PSA/issue story on date rape. Yes, it was broadcast in the summer lol. The choice for Cricket for this story makes sense, and definitely gave Lauralee something really serious/big to dig into. (Still, I don't know if, as a dad, I could've written that for my daughter. But perhaps that was discussed and LLB felt strongly about doing it).

The second rape (which should've never happened) was when Jack Smith became co-HW. Because, of course.

It was more of a Jack Smith thing.

IIRC, that may have been LLB's 2nd or 3rd extended maternity leave in quick succession. The show was straining to find plausible ways to keep writing Christine out while still keeping her involved/in story. Still, they should've stayed clear of something like this.

Imagine ruining a very popular pairing with incredible long-term potential as a side-effect of neutering one of the longest-running and iconic rivalries in daytime! The damage.

A dining room, kitchen, pool/poolside, big bedrooms, servants' bedrooms, upper floor hallways, a big attic, a garden with a tombstone... Quite massive!

• Members

And yet, I cannot imagine her acting Phillip’s “death” (stupidest retcon of all time) in 1989.  Brenda had already become so campy in her acting style.  It really is interesting to compare scenes from just a couple years before she left.

• Members

That's definitely the thing...Jill was not very kind to a lot of people as she got older, and even without knowing the history with Katherine, people would just assume Jill was always like that, while it's really because of Katherine she became that way..It's more easy to think of Katherine being this "saint" since she did become softer while Jill got more bitter.
I think that's why adding Nina to the mix was fascinating because we were able to see both women be ruthless at the same time trying to get rid of her, and Nina returned that animosity.Sure she became closer with Katherine over time, but it was a slow process, and again Katherine was able to put aside her animosity when Jill couldn't. If Nina were tangling with the more evil alcoholic Katherine of the 70's. I think it would have been a different story. haha.