Y&R to air classic episodes

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks...was searching for it but to no avail....found this episode where a younger Alexander Walters from ATWT appears and this must be one of Terry Lester last air dates as Jack. I hadn't seen an episode of him working with Jess as Jill.

• Members

ONE rumor has that it was staff reaction to a lukewarm reception of Brown & Kruger in the roles that lead to the Katherine/Jill twist. Not sure how true that was but sheesh Katherine & Jill would probably find peace together gushing over the same grandchild. 

I do blame Jack Smith all the way though. Y&R was the #1 soap and has an already well established, seasoned, and talented  Emmy winning team. Yet Smith became desperate for attention, shocks, ratings grabs, and Emmy grabs, something Y&R never ever did before. 

Agreed! Katherine was such a nasty old rich lady with nothing but time on her hands lol. Under Latham & MAB they gave her sainthood and even talked up about what a “successful smart businesswoman” she had always been. All I could say was “Oh dear God in heaven...”

• Members

I think it's a fair assumption to make that the Jill/Katherine twist might not have happened if Tom & Bashioum were still in the roles! Much harder to dump them than the OK recasts (although Brown was getting better/settling in nicely). But I have to disagree, there would be NO peace for Kay & Jill over their shared (great)grandchild. It would've (SHOULD'VE) been another decade of fighting. lol

Sadly, the viewership loss at the time gave Smith the excuse to do what he did. Nevermind that it was normal for a show to suffer when it lost three long-term actors/characters (especially Shemar Moore) and its executive producer. The shock value and "twists" just were not needed.

• Members

Brenda's Jill from 1983 to 1985 was more cold, lady of the manor with a little camp.  By 1986 her Jill became super campy.

When Jess first took over..she played the camp with a fiery anger.  I could buy her Jill teaming up with Katherine vs Nina.  Though seeing how Brenda's Jill was opposite Nina...I do wonder what might have been.

• Members

Katherine's intervention should've focused much more on seeing her strike out viciously -- the mean old crone of old having returned with cruel, cutting jabs -- and not so much the pleading, saintly Katherine. It's the acting, production, and style that saves things here. It all devolves into weirdness with the lights, the dining room doors opening into Heaven, I mean... ugh.

Seeing Rex is also a reminder of how sad and unnecessary it was to kill him off. He could still be around, 10 years later, dashing and interesting as ever.

Even in the 80s, he often (always?) sounded like he had a stuffy nose but in 2004 it was super pronounced.

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

OMG, lol.

When I was little I used to wonder whether he had some type of hearing impairment or at the very least, a speech impediment.  His tongue always seemed to be lolling around in his mouth.  Tricia Cast was really good with him though.  Even in Phillip's last disastrous return with a stupid cattle rushers storyline, Tricia Cast's chemistry with him even made me believe that they could be close friends and co-parents.