Y&R to air classic episodes

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Kinda ... weird ... to put it mildly. 

They did one around 97/98 I remember. The Cassie storyline. DAYS had three.

I'd love to seem at later times, I think more of an audience could be there, but now it's taken up by news, news and more news.

• Members

The first time was probably a way to give Lauralee something serious to cut her acting chops and make the audience see her as an adult. They did something similar with Caroline on B&B in 1987 (a virgin getting date raped). A lot of actors, character types, and storylines replay on early B&B and 80s Y&R.

I don't think Bell was consulting anymore by the time Christine was raped by Paul (an awful and unnecessary storyline).

• Members

I remember Doug Davidson did a TV Guide interview at the time, trying to justify the storyline, but it was a trainwreck.

I think LLB was leaving for maternity leave, so that was part of it...? But the show could have come up with another excuse for Christine leaving town besides rape!

The one bright side was the show bringing Steven Ford's Andy to serve as Paul's moral compass.

• Members

The story flopped on Y&R (Paul and Christine, pristine paragons of virtue were ill-suited for it), ruined Paul's character to this day yet it was repeated a few years later on ATWT with Jessica and Marshall. I'll never understand why.

• Members

Yeah it seemed to be a trope they liked to use, for whatever reason. Makes sense in terms of giving her something meaty to dig into. But then he did it again with Michael. Yikes, lol. I was just yesterday watching B&B from that time. Seems cruel to do the 'virgin gets raped' but life can be, unfortunately, cruel.

• Members

Well Bell also created a character to run over her as well as to call Cricket “The Bug” on screen.

Please register in order to view this content

Bell was pretty self aware of fans questioning the nepotism, I suppose this was his way of humoring viewers.  

Yeesh that sucks. Trying to record them on YouTube TV has been messy sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t, almost like the system wants to fight me.

• Members

Hogan Sheffer's ATWT was all about manly men and the women who were enthralled by them. The same year they had this story, they had Julia raping Jack (a character we were meant to see as weak) as Craig, a character we were meant to see as strong, mocked him for being raped. 

There's no real reason why Y&R told the story, other than incompetence and shock value. I think they genuinely believed they were telling a "rough sex" storyline and were bewildered by the response.

• Members

I also blame this era for giving us that crappy ending to Billy & Mac and for ushering us into those few years in the mid-00’s were everyone started giving us actual incest pairings to root for. I think Jack Smith really had been at B&B too long.

Edited by soapfan770