Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That's good to hear about the younger people who are out helping - it's a shame so many are just on social media talking about how they want old people to die, or out partying and getting drunk. They give everyone else a bad name. 

I couldn't stomach Trump's sham show but I browsed Twitter and saw that yet again Fauci was having to do cleanup duty for him. I am surprised he has lasted this long - I don't think it will be much longer before he's pushed out. 

Anyway, @Vee this goes along with the Haberman tweet you mentioned a day or two ago, I think.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/21/mike-pence-coronavirus-crisis

• Members

It's so sad seeing people have to lie through their teeth so he won't banish them and cause even more people to die. It's incredibly degrading and demoralizing. And many will call these doctors traitors and say they should be out blasting him, but the truth is that won't do any good - he has rock solid support. If any lives are saved by having to not burst his fat head with a pin, then they are doing what they have to do.

• Members

Last night during an office call for work, we learned a few more details about this potential plan from my boss. Right now it's being based off of the 2018 Tax Return, and people who have not filed that return yet, should think about doing so. There is also rumblings they could look or maybe even change it to the 2019 return. But right now it's just 2018. The people that may benefit the most from this plan (and more likely to get the full $1,200 amount) are people that make around $50,000 a year. And I believe that is per individual not household. The average household in America makes around $61,000. So it's very possible that many adults will not get this full amount. And it was stated that the stimulus amount would phase out around $99,000.

So right now if this bill is passed it, looks like a lot of people, (probably most) would get less than the $1,200 amount Mitch McConnell is touting. A lot of people would only get the $600 amount. (Which is better than nothing, but people getting at least $1,000 would be more beneficial, especially as more and more people are being put out of work.)

I do think this plan could leave a lot of people out, including unemployed people, severely underemployed people, grown full time students (like college age and up), disabled people, etc... And also people who are afraid to file their 2018 return for some reason. (Like maybe they owe student loans and don't want their refund completely taken.) Though anyone that makes over a certain amount, should be filing, regardless of what happens to the refund. (If they're not filing, that could come back to haunt them.)

Edited by xtr

• Members

Going to smaller stores is a good suggestion. Sometimes you can look in them and find some things you need.

I have to think at some point that some (maybe a lot) of these people that are selfishly hoarding, (especially those that are repeat offenders) will be low on funds. And maybe they won't have the money to keep going out and buying up stuff that other people need. The hoarding is wrong, there is enough supplies for everyone and what they are doing is selfish and also possibly wasteful. If someone who lives by themselves or has a small family (and even some with larger families) keeps hoarding stuff especially  perishable items that stuff could spoil/expire before they eat it. I usually grocery shop once a week, and buy just what I need for the week. ( I love to cook but I shop like this so I don't buy too much food and have a lot of waste). Though this last go around, I did end up doing two weeks worth of grocery shopping. And I'm glad I did because a lot of the meat and stuff was sold out in grocery stores where I live too. 

And going back to the conversation a few of us were having some pages back about the store running out things like chicken, meat, etc.... Here is some more suggestions if you go somewhere and want to find stuff like some meat/protein and there out of packages of chicken/steak:

Try the frozen food aisle. Sometimes you can find vacuum packed fish like salmon there. And if push comes to shove they could have frozen fish fillets/fish sticks. Chicken wings, tenders and nuggets are also in this aisle. And you can even find whole frozen chickens, and cornish hens in this aisle.

Look at the aisle where the sandwich meat and bacon normally is. That's usually a separate aisle than the regular meat aisle. Sometimes in this aisle, not only can you find sliced meat and bacon, but things like sausages, including ground italian sauces. You can also find things like slabs of ribs, including pre cooked seasoned/sauced ribs, and also containers of pulled pork, pulled chicken and pulled ribs in this aisle.

Try the deli where you can order sliced meat. And also sliced cheese. Hopefully, they haven't run out of meat/cheese in that section.And a lot of times they will have a different assortment of cheeses there. Granted is more expensive than the regular meat/cheese aisles, but that could be an option for people who want some meat/dairy. Often times you can find cooked Rotisserie chicken over there and things like prepared chicken and tuna salad. Sometimes they will have fried chicken over there as well. 

If your store is running low on fruits/vegetables, you can also try the frozen aisle and get frozen packs of those things.

• Members

The $75,000 number was being thrown out earlier when they were talking about who should get money, and including the possible $1,000 payment. That figure was being used by some people who was saying that everyone who made underneath that amount should be sent the $1,000 that was initially suggested.

This newest plan by Mitch McConnell does seem closer to a tax credit. (It reminds me of the earned income credit) And from what I heard/read is that around $50,000 are the ones that will benefit the most from this plan. People in that income range are the ones who are most likely to get the $1,200 credit. People who made beneath that range in 2018 (between $2,500-less than $50,000) in earned income would get the $600 credit. I'm not sure what exact figure a person would have to make to get the full  $1,200 amount, but my boss mentioned that people in the $50,000 range would benefit the most from this plan. And that it could phase out around $99,000 which would stop the higher income people from getting it.

The article that was posted pointing out the problems with this plan did give an example of how an adult making $35,000 wouldn't qualify for the full $1,200 and only get $600. It was used as an example to show how this current proposal would give less money to lower income people. (Even though they need the most assistance.)

Edited by xtr