DAYS: Actors released from contracts

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I agree, it makes no sense. That's why I was trying to figure out if he always did it or if it was something that popped up once he returned. I always felt he was desperate to leave the show initially and only returned because he had not been able to score anything else, that maybe the smirk had returned with him and had more to do with him not wanting to really be there and not making the effort.

In saying that, I am reminded of a story Jaime Lyn Bauer told about a short return she made to Days. It was a simple scene of her and Melissa Reeves. She was told they were doing a blocking rehearsal. She went through the scene, they yelled cut and told her it was a wrap. She was shocked and asked what was going on. They told her they taped the rehearsal and felt it was good enough and sent her on her way. 

While I doubt this happens all the time. It gives me a good idea of what the BTS is on Days. Explains actors like CM, there doesnt seem to be any nurturing going on there or anyone BTS that really cares, so why would a young actor care. Probably explains why CM only gave effort in his scenes with vets. As @edgeofnik stated, they wouldn't put up with it.

Maybe if producers/writers/directors actually gave a toss, things like this wouldn't happen.

• Members

That's pretty sad to think if it's true. A far cry from people like Jeanne Cooper who would take young actors under her wing on Y&R. I'm sure Days probably had vet actors like that too at one point. In fact I remember Peter Reckell talking about how the older actors would give him advice in the early days and he admitted he was too arrogant to listen initially, but eventually came around. 

I know everyone is giving CM grief for his lacklustre performances, but the more I hear about possible BTS drama and such on the show, I can't say I am surprised. Not the best environment for a young actor to grow in any way. As weak as Freddie is, I think if he had been taken in by a good director and some actors on the show and given time and space (which judging by JLB's story doesn't happen) he might have improved. Maybe he would never be amazing, but he might have grown a bit more as an actor.

Corday, Carlivati, I guess some of the actors and other crew seem to be shooting themselves in the foot and seemingly don't care.

• Members

Freddie Smith did mention too about the backstage stuff and it had gotten worse. I guess the other veteran actors and producers are looking out for numero #1.

It amazes me now that this soap is nearly gone producers and directors are finally given the greener actors some help. What took so damn long?

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

It happened occasionally years ago, but nothing like now, when that smirk or downright grin shows up in almost every scene. I don’t buy it that he knew he couldn’t get away with it in scenes with the vets— I’ve seen it there, too, although not as much as with Freddie.

it feels like they’d both love to act like Beavis and Butthead in those scenes where they’re gay guys in a relationship. They come across like middle school jerks who think it’s weird to be gay. Freddie is a terrible actor, but I can’t say  Chandler Is any less terrible. What good is potential if we never see it?

Anyone on Twitter claiming CM talked about this and attributed it to a nervous thing for his character is a liar. 

Chandler not only doesn’t transcend weak writing, he mocks it. That’s just unacceptable. Those smirks wouldn’t be tolerated in a high school production, and although I agree he’ll be back at some point, Will should be recast. 

In scenes where Chandler doesn’t smirk, he hasn’t done anything special, even when the writing is there and calls for someone really invested and genuine.

As I’ve said before, I blame Ron and production, too. They could have stopped the mess long ago.