Y&R February 2020 Discussion Thread

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

We'd be treated to a monthly (eventually becoming fortnightly then weekly) update on what Ripley was up to from the moment Amanda first said his name and he'd finally arrive in town after about a year, by which time their relationship would have been fleshed out in flashbacks.

• Members

And in the meantime, Bell and Alden would have Ripley ingratiating himself into others' lives.  He'd be Lily's new love interest, or Devon's new business partner, or Jabot or Newman's latest chemist, or SOMEthing.  Not just, "Baby, I'm back! Oops, I stabbed the wrong girl!  Peace out!"

Edited by Khan

• Members

I’ve been watching the past two weeks for Victor and also because people have been saying on Twitter that the show is much better. They are a damn lie! Just like before I see things with appeal, but the execution is terrible! Y’all are already mentioning the Amanda/Ripley mess, but look at this...

You have Phyllis trying to steal Grand Phoenix away which is a classic soap storyline. When she found out Chance and Adam’s Vegas secret she immediately told them and Abby and Chelsea. Chelsea immediately backs down and agrees to sell to Phyllis. She got to mug and they poured and that’s it. Where is the dramatic impact in this?! Phyllis should’ve been dropping hints and needling Chelsea for MONTHS! Then Chelsea should be secretly angry with Adam for getting her tied into this mess with him wondering what’s going on. Chelsea and Abby (or Chance) should be plotting behind the scenes to stop Phyllis. There is so much that could’ve been done with this particular story but all the drama is gone. They literally are just spitting out plot points!

That is my biggest problem with Josh Griffith. It’s not so much that his ideas are bad, but he always goes for the least dramatic direction a story can go in. Watching it is like going to work. You just get in your routine, do what you gotta do and go home. There is nothing to look forward to. I’m happy I got to tune in for Victor’s anniversary but I’m out afterwards. 

• Members

This is where I'm at too. Even Sharon's cancer story which started off interesting is very paint by numbers. I don't mind predictable run of the mill stories so long as the ride is fun but we're not even getting dynamic performances (Stafford seems bored, MCE is lacking her previous passion since the chem with this Adam isn't there, JT doesn't even seem to know wtf he's even playing, etc) or big payoff moments so its all just a lot of blah. Lola and Kyle's marriage is over and she's waltzing around nonchalant like she missed her hair appointment. He's already screwing Summer and she has barely a reaction when she sees them cuddled up???? This is a soap play the drama more, play the beats!

Edited by detroitpiston

• Members

This!  This was what I was speaking of the other day!  Thank you, somebody gets it!

Remember Veronica Landers, she was Miguel's love interest, all the way plotting how to get Joshua (Nikki's new husband) back and when she realized she wasn't going to achieve this, she took him out and almost took Nikki out.  Not one of the storylines done in the past several years have been half as memorable as that. Veronica was not a main character and the detail and build of her story puts this mess to shame.

• Members

This was a glorious storyline! It's one of the first Y&R stories I remember from the original airings. In addition to the stuff you mentioned, I believe this is what also led to Victor leaving Diane for Nikki who he thought was dying which of course reunited them after *10* years apart. The way people are fighting over this Chadam/Shadam or Skyle/K*la mess, I have no idea what they'd do if the show had good writers and their couples were apart that long.

Going back to Victor's week, I will say I LOVED that during his tribute episode that they included past actors who are no longer on the show. It was a really fleshed out selection of flashbacks and they were smartly chosen. LOVED opening with his mom, Douglas, Julia, Katherine and Nikki. LOVE that Brenda Epperson was included, we even got a Hope flashback. Lots of times when soaps do anniversary specials they avoid recasts and characters that aren't currently on the show. The only thing that would've made this better is if we got young Victoria. I still would love a Heather Tom flashback from her early days. 

Other kudos was how beautifully they styled Jess Walton and Eileen Davidson. They both looked like total knockouts! The way Jill was dressed is how she SHOULD be dressed all the time. I find her normal clothes very blah, but she was always a sexy fashionista. I thought her gown was age appropriate, but still stylish and very Jill. 

Edited by Chris B

• Members

Well, if the standard of writing had been kept up and had never fallen, viewers, except for the most rabid of fanbases, would likely have been patient. Keep in mind that, back then, with stories that had slow-builds, there were often so many other compelling storylines going on at the same time, that viewers weren't bored silly the way most tend to be today.  Half these 'stan wars' seem to happen out of sheer boredom, imo.

• Members

I don't even read recaps anymore  but this description sounds like why I also turned off B&B.  I still read recaps for B&B.  Everyone is fickle and drop one partner and screw another one and get married immediately and it's all plot plot plot.  Adam on Y&R and Thomas on B&B became the same character basically.  I didn't even tune in for EB's anniversary.  I saw Julia and someone else was back but it wasn't enough for me to tune in.  Back when they reintroduced Mishael (sp?) - they should have just made her Hillary somehow.  I saw it was the same character with a different name of Amanda and was like...that's it, done.  The last episode I watched was Chance saving the day with the hostage thing.  And I did see one where Traci finished a book about the family.  She and Ashley are about the only people on the show that I really liked at that point.  And I realized the same with B&B - I don't really like anyone on the show...used to be a Brooke fan but she's just an annoying busybody now.  It's sad but I looked at the ratings and they're terrible.  I wonder sometimes if soaps were always horrible and I just didn't notice because I was younger - but I really don't think that's the case.  

• Members

The clip with the 25th Anniversary of Newman Enterprises where Jess Walton mostly spoke. Brenda was sitting next to John and she hugged and kissed Victor towards the end if I recall correctly. Neil and Brad I also believe were in the scene. It was in the first part of the episode.

Edited by Chris B

• Members

Just rewatched that scene and you could only see the back of Brenda's head there, and was cropped out when John spoke. Jill kissed victor at the end. 

Edit: Looks like Brenda was cropped out in the TV broadcast. The web version has the uncropped scenes where you can see Brenda, oops!

Edited by ChickenNuggetz92