Younger Actor / Actress Categories to be Combined

• Members

https://variety.com/2019/tv/awards/daytime-emmys-younger-actor-actress-categories-1203297550/

Additionally, nominees can also be from digital dramas. 

It's about time! Younger Actor and Actress categories have dwindled in importance for the past 8 years, at least, with only four soaps left and the pool of talent very small to choose from. Youngsters with weak talent were getting unnecessarily nominated. 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

About freakin’ time. Hilarious that actors from digital dramas will also be eligible, which shows that the Academy recognizes how dire things had become.

That article does raise interesting points about gender distinctions at the Oscars, Tonys, Emmys, etc. The Grammys don’t do gendered categories. 

• Members

There is no reason to combine the younger Actor & Actress categories. They all deserve their award. However if you want be better with Gender, How about renaming all the acting categories with Female Actor & Male Actor?

How about doing this,???

Lead Female Actor
Supporting Female Actor
Younger Female Actor
Lead Female Actor
Supporting Male Actor
Younger Male Actor
#DaytimeEmmys

Edited by John

• Members

I think, to the article’s point, with gender becoming increasingly nebulous and more performers coming as an non-binary, etc., how does one represent that with two-gendered awards? Giving performers who don’t adhere to traditional definitions of male/female their own categories seems silly.

Why separate based on gender anyway? They don’t give out awards for best female writer or best male hair stylist. It’s archaic. The one benefit is that it spreads the wealth.

• Members

Granted there have been some undeserving people getting nominated in the younger actor/actress category for Daytime Emmys over the years. But I don't care for this idea of combining both categories. And I don't want to see this happen with other awards ceremonies. Let alone something like the Oscars at least not with acting. There is a ton of talent out there especially in the acting categories (and I mean acting categories in general from all awards ceremonies, Oscars/Golden Globes etc). And this will open up the door to more deserving people losing out/being snubbed. And could be a problem if major ceremonies followed suit, especially something like the Oscars, (which I don't think would happen anytime soon but you never know.)

The best male/best female actor type of categories was created for deserving people to be recognized (And possibly win) from both groups. Imagine how many talented people would be without an Oscar or Golden Globe if the acting categories had been combined over the years. The Daytime Emmys might end up being okay enacting this type of change for their awards ceremony. But IMO It's not a good idea in general and it could cause a ruckus. Especially considering that people already feel like people get snubbed all the time even when the categories are separate.

In regards to actors identifying as non binary as or right now it's not a ton of people coming out and being nominated for awards in regards to that. There is nobody on soaps, that I know of that publicly identifies as non binary. Now Hollywood is a bit of a different story at least to some degree. But even there aren't a bunch of people that identify as NB who are being nominated for anything major. If more of that happens, then maybe the awards ceremony could try and figure something out to address that. I agree that a separate category is not a good idea for them at this point, at least not for the Daytime Emmys.. Not enough if any people to nominate for that. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

I honestly think this is being done due to a smaller talent pool. 

The days of people getting potentially miffed seeing an ingenue like Judi Evans get a nomination over someone like Beverlee McKinsey for Lead Actress are long behind us. The categories were created to keep 15-year-olds from competing against golden-aged veterans who've been in the daytime field for 20+ years.  The Daytime Emmys are literally the only awards show that has a "younger leading actor/actress" category. 

They could've scrapped having a younger lead category altogether and it would've been perfectly understandable. 

• Members

The Variety article is now updated to say it's not official: "The org is discussing the possibility that the Daytime Emmy Awards will combine its outstanding younger actor and actress categories into one. (An earlier version of this story had said the decision had already been made.)"

I don't mind it in the sense that we've been lucky this extra random category even exists. I'd rather have a combined gender category than for them to eliminate the award. I don't like the idea of adding digital into it because IMO, that's a completely different genre (why is it even considered Daytime instead of Primetime? Am I supposed to watch Digital Dramas during the day?). And it would be easy for them to say that with only 4 soaps, they're going to add Digital Dramas into the major categories.

I just glanced at the wikipedia list of winners and IMO there's a huge drop in quality in the Younger categories over the years. I barely recognize the names of some recent winners. But going back a few years, it gets difficult to pick between the male and female winners https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Daytime_Emmy_Award_winners

• Members

Not just performances not worthy of being nominated over the past ten or so years but winners that were cringe inducing during their time on the show.  The past several years they have skipped right over the pre-nom process for these categories due to lack of nominees.  I say make a stipulation that if there are more than X nominees for both categories they are split again.

I don't like the idea of doing this for all the categories because unlike with music (for like the Grammys or VMAs) where artists can be nominated for multiple awards for one album/song, a TV series or a movie is a one shot thing.  I feel the Oscars need to open up the number of people they nominate to honor more work (like they did for Best Picture).

Edited by jcar03