LATEST RATINGS: July 8-12, 2019

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Oy. The Y&R numbers are terrible. I enjoy most of the show and especially the Stafford being back as Phyllis, but I guess other parts of the show aren’t incentive enough for others to tune in. It is unfortunate. I like the ways that this regime has attempted to bring back Y&R’s identity through the score and camera angles. If we see a regime change, then I predict JG will be let go before Morina. Heck, it wouldn’t surprise me if we saw Sally return to HW.

• Members

I was reading there are 2 blackouts.  One for smaller markets with another company that owns CBS affiliates does fall in this time period. The other bigger markets are as others are saying - not yet reflected in these ratings.  But it doesn’t change the fact that Y&R and B&B were dropping long before that.  Y&Rs plots are a total failure and the dead baby switch on B&B has been a total bomb.  I read synopsis now.  No desire to hear the same scenes over and over.  Have to tell the truth, we’ll go to jail - can never tell the truth, go back to Vegas, we have to tell Hope, Hope can never know, “are the girls up yet, we need to put the girls down, are the girls up yet, we need to put the girls down, I think I hear the girls, no I put them down. Are the girls up yet, the girls are down.”  and on and on.  And the amazing disappearing Nanny and Taylor who was never to be seen again from what I hear.  And really rich people who have jobs they never go to lolll.  There will be a Spring cruisewear show next week that no one designed. 

Edited by Fevuh

• Members

Lord, these are some terrible ratings.   Blackout or not, the bottom is clearly falling out for Y&R, and I suppose that's been on the horizon for quite a while.  With it's half-hour format, you'd think B&B would be performing a LITTLE bit better than it is, but obviously the low-quality writing isn't helping much.   As for the other two, they're so bad off that they're barely worth discussing.   When we (generously) allow a 5-year life span for the genre to survive on daytime, I think we're being overly optimistic.  

• Members

If people were honest - B&B has been awful from the beginning.  They squandered good lead ins in the East from the beginning from Y&R or Noon News in given markets.  If it were Primerime B&B would have been moved or cancelled 20 years ago 

Capitol was canceled with a 5.2.  Without the lead in that B&B ever had.  

Steve Kent and Angelica McDaniel can hire and fire all the regimes they want (how many have there been????) McDaniel’s interference has been a cancer to Y&R. Why doesn’t anyone higher up at CBS see that? They constantly change regimes and ratings fall even lower. But McDaniel is the one constant at CBS. Fire her and let the producers and writers be creative and not stifled with her cancerous interference. 

You’re right. I don’t get how the remaining soaps are staying on the air. Demos are the most important number and every remaining soap has lower demos than the past cancelled soaps. (OLTL, AMC, ATWT, GL) Even when GL was cancelled, it had more women 18-49 viewers than Y&R has today. 

• Administrator

The numbers will continue to decline on television no matter what.  I just wish we had access to more ratings data like L+3, L+7 and streaming numbers, so we can get a reasonable look at how many people are actually watching.  

• Members

I have serious doubts as to whether large numbers of people have the patience to sit through that

glitch-tastic CBS.com player with their millions of commercials.  It's more likely that folks have found ahem...alternate streaming platforms that won't make the Nielsen counts anyway. 

• Members

Exactly. There’s 189 actual television channels playing at the same time and that’s NOT including the video streaming. I suspect the soaps reach are MUCH higher than the same-day ratings and if you look at the dismal prime time same-day ratings on TVByTheNumbers site with the L+3/L+7 figures they nearly go up by a third or double. 

• Members

They really don't have a "huge cast" and to be fair, folks have no idea the amount of interference that goes on.

#accurate

It doesn't matter who they hire or fire.

Ratings are a dumpster fire. It only tells one side of the picture, too. It's not like primetime has anything to brag about

Please register in order to view this content

I imagine the 'blackout' hurt but at the same time, the show isn't giving anyone anything to watch or talk about. What's really going on besides a bunch of folks randomly going around town talking to each other? The only real story is Adam. And if he's not on, everyone is talking about him. I also imagine Victor's "mystery illness" is a turn off. No one cares about Lola besides Angelica. No one but their stans wanted Chelsea and Kevin back.

The show is a dumpster fire.

I agree. Primetime ratings are also dismal until you add in L+3/L+7. But I imagine they want folks watching a soap daily, but maybe they should try putting on compelling and interesting stories  but all they care about is going through the motions and getting by. Vee said it pretty well in another thread, they aren't trying to reinvent the wheel anymore. They're just surviving at this point. Cut them all down to a half hour, stop with the dead weight, stop wasting my time with 20 minutes of filler and move them online. I'm pretty sure all the soaps do well online, but I have no real numbers. Just a hunch.

Edited by KMan101