Y&R Summer Previews

• Members

Oh wow. I suppose Y&R could justifiably say that this is MS’s role, and she needs no introduction, but YEARS have passed since she was Phyllis. And it’s not like Gina left ages ago; she left a week ago. I don’t remember how soaps have handled it when a well-known original actor replaces a decently popular recast.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I can't stand Stafford in recent years, but I don't think there's any question Phyllis is her iconic role and after this few years away she needs little introduction. I vastly preferred Gina's take to the Phyllis of the last decade or so, but Michelle Stafford made/is Phyllis (and Phyllis made Stafford).

• Members

I think it’s also a recognition that there haven’t been enough new viewers since August 2013 who’d be confused by such a change. (The new soap viewer is an extinct species.) I think back in the day, they might have done a v/o just to celebrate a big return, but they’re being low key about it, for obvious reasons.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Here are some upcoming spoilers from the Soaps section of the Arkansas Democrat Gazette Newspaper:

Rey will warn Adam to stay away, but that will only strengthen Adam's resolve to remain nearby. Cane and Traci's friendship will become stronger but he will blow her off to go talk to Lily. While Jack is enjoying Lauren's company in LA, he will also meet and bond with a woman who is in a similar situation that he is in. And while Mariah and Ana have put aside their differences, a new project will cause an issue to arrive between Ana and Devon. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

Here are a couple of spoilers from the Courier Journal for the next couple of weeks. Even though everyone will be happy with the finished product of Tessa's video, Devon will tell Ana she is not ready to manage artists on her own yet. Also, the week after next Lola's mother will pay her a surprise visit.

I don't like seeing Devon/Ana clash again about him doubting her talents/qualifications in the music industry. Even more so because he just hired Mariah to run a whole company, and manage/advocate for artists without any prior experience. At least Ana does have experience working in the music industry. I wonder why exactly Devon think she isn't ready to manage artists on her own yet. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

I wish they'd kept playing the mystery of why Ana wanted to stay behind the scenes. I felt like they were taking it in a more interesting dramatic direction that could've centered on Ana more. They could've done a spin on the R Kelly scandal but instead it went nowhere. 

• Members

I would have rather seen them do something with that storyline (like maybe she had problems with an ex boyfriend) and kept Fen and built a romance with him and Ana. But they just ended up using that secret to introduce Elena and give Devon a romance with her, which IMO, right now is a bit of a dud. (Largely because they are IMO giving Elena a weak storyline where she is uncomfortable with his wealth).

I don't think that Josh really wants to invest much in Ana, and that's why she's not getting much of a storyline. He threw her in there with Tessa/Mariah and it looked like that storyline could have taken multiple unappealing directions. And now she's clashing with Devon again over something they really shouldn't be clashing over. I wish she would get a better storyline, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. (if ever).

Edited by xtr

• Members

An R Kelly riff would've been dynamite.

They clearly are not interested in investing in Ana and it's so insulting. Brytni Sarpy isn't exactly Sarah Bernhardt but she could do more than they give her, too.

• Members

Not watching but I do keep up with spoilers.  The only one the writers are remotely interested in is Devon.  Elena and Ana are extensions of him.  The only reason either character exists is to give Devon someone to interact with.  It has gotten to the point that I just laugh.  Ana gets no love interest and Elena gets no character development.  The writers are very clear with their diversity issues.  It is as clear as day.  How long can they keep this up?  I guess until they fire both actresses. 

• Members

Yep. But I don't think they're interested in Devon either. I think absent much better writing, Devon only ignites as a character with the right partner. He had that and now she's dead. That doesn't absolve the show's responsibility and lack of interest in the black canvas, which they cynically try to placate by hiring people to surround Devon onscreen but do very little. It used to happen with Neil post-Dru, too.

• Members

You are right.  They do not care for any of their black cast.  The only reason Devon has anything to do right now is because the writers want to play with people who are sentimental after KSJ passing.  The stories for all these character sound so stupid and contrived.  You can tell that no thought went into any of it.