GH and Y&R Casting News

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That would be nice ... I agree with everyone Nina should be dumped but you know Frank is petty enough to recast and I imagine it was abrupt, forcing a recast. I'm open to it I guess if we're stuck with the damn character. But everyone and their mother has practically shouted from the rooftops that Nina doesn't work and hasn't worked for 5 years ... the show should listen.

• Members

Nope, she doesn't. But Frank is petty and I imagine they have story to wrap up. As much as I'd like her completely dropped and the entire daughter thing forgotten ... I'm really not sure why Frank (and Varni doesn't get a pass) seems to insist on keeping pets he knows the audience has rejected in droves. I'm guessing Frank likes to keep his pals employed like JFP liked hiring her pals. Sadly, BTS politics, producer pets and network interference (not to mention craptastic writing) is what's killing these shows ... it's basically actor roulette at times and it gets tiresome ... 

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Well Gina said at a few events in 2017 she almost did not sign a contract that year and everyone got the impression that contract (the 3 year one she signed in 2017) was the last one she would be signing. 

I feel pretty confident she was going to leave in 2020 but the way they went about it is still dirty. 

As far as people blaming Stafford, she has never had the greatest reputation so thats why folks are probably jumping to that conclusion - though I do think she probably put feelers out there because how exactly would CBS even be aware of what was happening with her negotiations?

Either way, whats done is done. The chance of any of these soaps getting significantly better because of some casting changes is...LOL

• Members

wow, this would be a real clock to Y&R. Replacing MS with a soap LEGEND. I def think she could make this role happen in a way that MS just... couldn't. Just play her like she did Rosanna on ATWT, tbh. 

• Members

If Nina for some godforsaken reason has to stick around, I'm warming to the idea of Cady. I'd like to actually care about Nina (if we're stuck with her; which we seem to be; my first and ultimate choice would be to just dump her immediately and forget she ever existed) but I can't. I'd be open to her interpretation. There was never any real goal or development with Nina. It was simply Frank wanting to hire Michelle Stafford and feature her. She turned in one or two good performances when she wasn't falling back on her tics, but Nina is a *nothing* character ... but maybe a more likeable and sympathetic actress can turn that around? Ugh. I wish they'd dump the character. This time could be better spent on someone else. Like, you know, Lucy Coe. Or Brenda. Or a back from the dead Karen ... just saying

Please register in order to view this content

And agreed on Gina Tognoni not wanting to commute from NJ anymore ... if she hasn't upped and moved to California in the 5 years she's been at the show ... not saying this move wasn't shitty. It always is when they do this kind of thing. I just don't think these kind of things shock me anymore. Showbusiness can be brutal (and it doesn't need to be and that's not a defense of brutal practices ...)

And when I say "not shocked anymore", this WAS a shocking move. But in general, moves like this no longer really surprise me, so to speak. It's a brutal business sometimes. But we're long past the days of any one actor really pushing the needle up in terms of ratings ... and I also think they wanted familiarity.

I liked Gina as Phyllis overall, but Gina had her tics too  she just added a lot more depth at times and gave some really powerful performances. I understand fans being pissed. And plus it's just shitty to do an actor that way. But at the same time, it's not really the first time and probably won't be the last. Still shitty.

Edited by KMan101