The Media/Journalism Thread

• Members

While history shows that it is entirely possible that people will move en mass to another platform, I am also against the government regulation of Twitter and other forms of social media; except in the case of foreign governments interfering in privacy issues. 

Even as a liberal, I hope that the feds remain limited in their control of social media, because I feel that content should not be restricted, and it is up to individuals to be able to interpret real from false information.  In other words, just because some folks are too dumb to not question conspiracy theories, doesn't mean that the federal government should determine their validity.  And, I think it only feeds into the false-flag-fears of conspiracy minded individuals to find reasons to regulate based on ownership or crazed individuals attacking politicians.

One other note - the Fox News/Republican response to the Pelosi break-in is predictably offensive.  One Fox News anchor suggested that the attacker should be out on parole already because that is the standard for a minor break-in, and then there were the false-equivalency idiots who were angry that nobody responded when GOP senators faced legal protests outside of their offices or homes. 

However, the constant portrayal of every current event as being reflective of a divided nation is really what makes me angry.  When Squeaky Fromme tried assassinate the  President, nobody thought that an entire culture of Manson devotees, or even counter-culture enthusiasts, were at fault.  We were evolved enough to know the difference between a mentally disturbed individual and the values of a sub-culture.  It feels like modern media willfully elevates fringe opinions in an effort to create a constant debate, even when one does not naturally exist. 

Edited by j swift

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

He's going to lose advertisers and that will make it financial poison. Plus he has ZERO idea what he is getting into. NONE. I still don't believe he ever wanted to buy it anyway.

For all the hotness of the used car market, the one thing that wasn't selling were Tesla's.  As used cars were getting gobbled up by Carmax, Tesla's still sit on their lots.

I do think the GM pulling their ads was partially motivated by Musk, but its going to come. That idiotic stmt he put out yesterday re-assured NO ONE. Maybe it should die.

• Members

Pretty much but in all fairness, at least Dorsey(who was not the owner of course) stayed off twitter for the most part. Musk can be accused of a lot when it comes to twitter, giving his companies free advertising for example, but lets not fool ourselves into believing he had good intentions here and knows what he just bought. I don't think he has a clue.

Narratives are already driven by the extremes but it's funny I didn't see any response to the question from LeBron James on why the N word was flowing so haphazardly the last couple of days. I think we know why. Advertisers definitely are not going to want to be associated with that and if it becomes a right wing tool anyway it will go the way of Trumps idiotic media site and the others out there that are dying. Fact is these people only want to be on sites where they can anonymously harass and taunt people.

The only thing I might agree with that Musk said is that anyone who uses it should be able to post their own name and be verified. No troll accounts. But that's not going to happen either.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

Oh he was definitely forced into, it was either follow through with the deal or twitter sues the pants off him and he clearly didn't want to go to court cause he knew he'd lose

I give it 6 months and he will be begging someone to buy him out 

I love twitter cause it's easy to post and the hashtags make it easy to search. It just needs to be controlled by people who want it to continue on

• Members

Musk never had any intention of buying it. And frankly I have no idea what people see in him. He's an insecure blowhard and attention whore. None of those cultists who follow him on twitter and may feed his ego can afford anything he makes.

When I hear people calling him a visionary and such I scratch my head. Why he's considered a leader I have no clue. You can criticize the tech "geniuses" of the past, and Steve Jobs for example was also a *hitty human being in many ways, but he did know when to keep his mouth shut. Bill Gates who I have heard people compare Musk to(don't make me laugh) was not the technical visionary Jobs was but he was a marketing genius and knew how to make his products marketable and sell. Yeah he stole components from IBM OS/2 and the Mac graphical interface to develop DOS and WIndows, but he also understood how to make his product a household name and put it in every household and business. Musk has none of the positive qualities that made Jobs such a genius and visionary and businessman and Gates what he became.

If all of us are lucky, Twitter will be Musk's ultimate downfall. He can't keep his big fat mouth shut and craves attention so much, I can easily see it happening.

I;ll be interested if his so called "free speech" platform includes China where twitter is censored. My guess is NO since he is relying on them for investment. So much for Mr. Free Speech. I only follow a couple of accounts on twitter nothing more at this point. It's become a garbage heap and Musk will make it worse.

• Members

Musk co-opts others ideas and hard work and then buys them out. Genius, he is not.

Jobs, at least knew how to engineer the thing that he became wealthy for selling. Somehow, Musk comes across as someone who may know very little about build a vehicle.

Or a rocket, for that matter.

I say, build a replica and call it a day. MySpace was once considered a “must” too, at one time.

• Members

I still have my Twitter account. But I have made a backup account on Counter Social. Seems other Twitter refugees have followed. Takes a bit getting used to, but at its core, it is a lot like Twitter without the toxicity.

(Since there is no word when the BlueSky deal with Jack Dorsey will be ready.)

• Members

Yep, did that! But I think it's going to be a while, so it's good to have another alternative. I did see a Meidas account on Counter Social and saw some others claiming to have migrated but forget the usernames. (Did see Kelly Carlin, George Carlin's daughter, though.)