The Media/Journalism Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

A very lengthy article on another Twitter alum speaks of building another social media platform, this time incorporating a decentralized system, which I have yet to figure out whether this would be a force for good or for ill.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeldelcastillo/2022/09/11/jack-dorseys-former-boss-is-building-a-decentralized-twitter/?sh=6b2414d357c3

• Members

Anderson Cooper is by far the most favorably viewed cable news anchor, according to a Variety study. What’s semi-surprising (at least to news junkies and the terminally online) is how many people polled hadn’t heard of the anchors listed. (43 percent hadn’t heard of Rachel Maddow for example. 61 percent hadn’t heard of Jake Tapper, and 49 percent don’t know who Laura Ingraham is. How I envy those lucky souls.)

https://variety.com/vip/survey-theres-a-clear-mvp-among-cable-news-anchors-and-its-not-even-close-1235415771/

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

There's a lot of talk about how Pelosi's attacker was a hippie who got sucked in, but his ugly views seem to go a ways back.

I wish  I had never found out that the Pitchbot person is pally with that offputting Dr. Thrasher account (a combo of COVID scaremongering and belittling gay men who want to marry instead of living in a Joe Gage  film). 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Thanks @DRW50 for posting the tweet about Saturday's NYTimes front page layout. and the intentionality of how they of prioritized of what went above the fold.  I like how the tweeter phrased it as  "the attempted assassination of the Speaker of the House" - because that's what it was.

Yet nytimes and other media didn't use that language. NYTimes below-the-fold headline said "Pelosi's Husband Is Badly Injured In Hammer Attack by an Intruder"

Saturday Oct 29 front page:

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Now ur going to hear about other platforms in the works . I’ve been reading off snd on for months about the one Dorsey is leading and there are others. Face it Musk has no clue and despite the many issues with Dorsey, he certainly has a better understanding of the issue than Musk. And advertisers IMO will be fleeing twitter in mass  give it 6 months

• Members

As I said the other day, the papers of record always adopt conservative frames on urban crime and Democrats. Hence, the mainstream obsession with San Francisco and Boudin (whatever any of us think of him) comes up in this unrelated story.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Twitter fading out would be for the best, imo.
The only value it has for me these days is the search bar, where I can find gifted articles that break through the paywall. Thankfully I can do that without logging in, especially since I have already deactivated my account (after archiving all my tweets six months ago). 
The coup de grace would be Musk losing a huge chunk of money from the implosion of the platform. It would be the best thing that could happen at this point.