New Soap Melange W/ Many Soap Alums

• Members

Link: https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/morgan-fairchild-melange-1202895032/

When I first saw this article I figured it was just a show with Morgan Fairchild, but as I read the article it looks like a Who’s Who of Soap’s! Robert Newman (GL), Kristen Alderson, Ilene Kristen and Scott Evans are all in it. Gary Donatelli, a long time OLTL Director is directing. 

Looks like its being pitched as a half a half hour serialized drama geared towards the LGBT community. I’m hoping that since it’s in Variety it’ll be more high budget than some of the web soaps and hopefully will find a home on one of the streaming services!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

A lot to unpack here!

Gary Donatelli directed for OLTL up through the Hulu revival. I'm supportive of the many vets involved but it sounds like a bargain basement thing.

And little Mark Indelicato? The gay kid from Ugly Betty? I didn't know he was still acting.

• Members

Part of me thinks this too. 

The other part thinks that too often these productions think they can throw a kitchen sink worth of issues in front of the camera with not enough consideration for quality of content and then believe they are entitled to viewers just because it's there and they believe the audience is desperate to see themselves onscreen that they will forgo quality.  I hope this is not the case, but there are so many charismatic and talented LGBTQ actors and performers that they didn't need to shoehorn Perez Hilton in. 

Especially in NYC with Broadway! LOL, there would probably be  enough highly talented prospects to fill an entire city block who would audition (regardless of the show's budget), especially if the scripts are good.

• Members

And Robert Newman's character is described as "deceased" so I wonder if he'll just be appearing in the pilot or if this is a "memory" series with lots of flashbacks ( which I would certainly prefer over a ghost).

• Members

Robert Newman has always read gay to me. I mean, he plays straight roles very well but I've always found him erudite enough to play gay. (And he's hot as hell)

Edited by Vee

• Members

And he just appeared as Edna Turnblad in Hairspray in Michigan! And he’s still definitely hot as hell!

It’s a pilot that they’re filming, not a complete season. I’ve encountered the creator on my trips to Provincetown over the years and on his Facebook page, he mentions it’s a pilot. Apparently they were filming Morgan crashing a funeral (presumably Robert Newman’s character). The creator, Tom, has done some cool work in both Provincetown and NYC and is very well respected.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

He's definitely hot...and one of the reasons I was interested in watching - not because he's hot but because I do enjoy him as an actor and he seems like a great person - not that his being hot hurts at all. However, I don't know if I'm all that interested but I will give it a try.