Days: August 2018 Discussion Thread

• Members

Hmm. Kind of a spot on take here about the wedding. LOL. I guess at this point I'll take entertainment over snoozeville. But this is accurate. I enjoyed it for what it is. I have no grand illusions this is "great" soap. But when we have had such crap for so long .... 

Totally agreed on SSH. I love seeing her and I'm glad Julie has her place on the show, but yeah, SSH is quite hammy. I will never tire of Julie's hatred for the Hernadai. Thank you Julie. Bless you for hating them for us. I know viewers bitch about her because of her hatred for Gabi but I like it's consistent. Didn't Julie cradle a dead Nick? Hate the bitch Jules! I get she's a a bit of a hypocrite because Nick wasn't some innocent wallflower, but still.

It irks me when viewers hate Julie for hating Gabi. No, she's totally justified. We need to stop wanting soaps to be all kumbaya moments. LOL So many fans just want to live in lala land with their happy couples. I don't get it.

I kind of hate Julie's just "some goofy old lady". I'm so mixed on the writing for her. But I agree SSH plays a lot of things over the top and hammy.

Hmm. Interesting comparison of Haiduk to Hanna. I can see that.

LOL @ the extras being young. I didn't pay close attention, I was just pleased they filled all the seats.

And yessss on the lighting. You pretty much nailed it. Like lights on at night in a baseball field. 

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes!!! I knew Haiduk's Susan reminded me of someone..and it is Annelle

Please register in order to view this content

I also like that she has provided enough differences to show kristen and Susan as different characters...  I never got that impression when Eileen portrayed both of them.

• Members

MONDAY

Well, at least we know RealSusan was there.

Not sure how I feel about Will having his memory back surprisingly. Haven't really been watching much since the start of the DID story so it just feels kinda there.

SH is doing a great job as Kristen. Who knew?

• Members

I think she's great as Susan.

Eileen needs to be Kristen for me but I think Stacy has been a solid recast. She feels more like a stand-in for Kristen, just someone who can act. Susan feels more like a character she's actually playing. If that makes any sense.

• Members

WEDNESDAY

Whoever said Kristen should be bringing up Brady's 'love of his lives' much have loved this episode cuz she is true tea-ing him like no one's business. And I like that Brady's words are saying one thing in these scenes while his body language is saying another. lol.

I think SH has been a solid recast as well. Did she nail Susan? IMHO yes. There are moments she nails Kristen I feel as well. Then there are times when I cannot help but feel how would ED play that. Or right now when Brady brings up Tate, I don't think SH got it since kids was always Kristen's throughline so it felt like a missed opportunity when she mentioned 'Christopher.' Cuz Eileen would have hinted at that throughline within that brief dialogue.

• Members

Julie having animosity for Gabi is the most realistic soap opera trait being played out onscreen on any of the four shows currently.  I wish they played the why of it more often, so viewers could understand her perspective and give it the depth it deserves.  

She loved Nick.  She feels guilty for what he did and for how he turned out.  And she hates Gabi for her part in his death, even if he was a monster to her.

Shows have had stories play out longer between characters with less motivation than this.

I would love a scene where they are forced to address these issues, and it fixes nothing but gets it all out there.  Gabi did love Nick too.

• Members

I do think it's realistic, but if they do have a real knock down drag out, Gabi needs to be able to say "he tried to rape me".  That doesn't have to change how Julie feels, but it should be stated that clearly.  I know Gabi isn't he most popular character, but really, was she supposed to just take it?

• Members

I agree.  What I like about this is that it is one of the few ongoing threads on these shows where both characters have a point of view that is their own, and a conflict that is character based and doesn’t just resolve easily because it is based in actual human emotion.

I am by no means comparing the importance or quality in the writing or performances.  But when it was at its best, there were clear reasons why Katherine and Jill did not like each other on Y&R, and why any truce was short lived.  Why they would both come somewhat to terms but then fall back.

If I wrote DAYS, Julie would make Gabi’s life a living hell every time they saw each other.  And Julie’s anger would be damaging to her other relationships.  And how she feels about Jessica and Nick would be an important aspect of the story.  Imagine Doug being given an actual scene with her, where he has to question how far she is willing to go to not forgive her and not to acknowledge how bad Nick had become.  And Gabi loved him, and he assaulted her.  That should play a part in her relationships, and Julie bringing it up all the time should cause a reaction from her.   It writes itself.

• Members

See? While it would have been better if it was Carrie...richer in history...the writers have firmly established that Belle has been disliking Sami ever since JPL's Phillip was around....well before he was around I should say. I was just surprised Sami didn't slap her back.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Members

THURSDAY

I'm surprisingly loving these Kristen/Brady scenes.

While I was meh on Will finally getting his memory back, I do like that they are slllloooowwwwly allowing him to reveal it to people. I also like the talk between Sonny and Adrienne where they mentioned that just because he remembers does not just null and void the fact he's been with Paul and have feelings for him, too, now. 

Other than the sleeping with Rafe thing, does Hope have any other beef with Sami? It felt weird watching them fight when I feel like they never had enough scenes to have anything of a rivalry like Carrie (for Sami), Billie (for Hope), etc.

Liking SH's Susan.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

On the one hand, I understand Julie's animosity toward Gabi.  But, OTOH, watching those two at odds is like watching AMC's Erica tussle with all the young tarts (Greenlee and Annie, to name but two) whom she clearly outmatched in age, in smarts and in life experience.

To me, Julie is just too old and too mature to be picking fights with some thot like Gabi.  I'm not saying she should be like Alice, resting comfortably in her chair and waiting for the next batch of doughnuts to come out of the oven.  But if you want to give Julie someone to joust with, bring back Susan Martin or give her a new character in her approximate age range who would be an even match.

Archived