Y&R July 2018 Discussion Thread

• Members

Agree. They don't have to fire him but nick needs rival/foil who isn't Victor. one of my main issues with soaps is that once they find something that works or has a little bit of success they continue on with it even when it doesn't work anymore. Or even worse, they attempt to recreate the situation with different characters over and over again. Adam versus victor was successful story. despite my not liking it because if Newman's are your main family and you do Newman versus Newman then that doesn't leave much story or air time for anyone else.  But I can admit it was successful.  So instead of them recasting Adam to continue it, which had gotten old itself, they want to slide Nick into that role to continue playing that angle. Terrible idea but typical formulaic soap decision. 

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think that Lily was pretty harsh with some of the things she said to Hilary about Hilary. She shouldn't have said some of those things to Hilary. 

But I agreed with her about Shauna. Shauna has encouraged Charlie to be sneaky and lie. She has been pressuring him very early on their relationship about sex and is clingy towards him. She has also been manipulative towards Hilary and threw Hilary under the bus a bit the other day, when she insinuated that Hilary knew what her and Charlie were going to sleep together. She has also had him over multiple times without telling Hilary/Devon.

I hate to say it but ever since she moved in Hilary has done a poor job of mentoring her. She hasn't set any sort of guidelines for her. She treats Shauna like Shauna js a grown gal pal like Phyllis.

Lily has her faults but at least she attempts to parent Charlie/Mattie. Hilary hasn't really done that since Shauna has moved in. Which is ironic because Hilary pushed for Shauna to move in with her when she found that Charlie had been hiding Shauna in his bed. She acted like she didn't trust them not to mess around and told Lily that. But as soon as  Shauna moves in in she's practically encouraging them to rush things and sleep together. IMO, that's bizarre . 

• Members

Nick is pathetic. Sharon has slept with both his brothers, his former brother-in-law Billy, his ex stepdad Jack and worse yet, his father!  Eww what a disgusting tramp she is! The fact that he would ever touch her again makes him sick and disgusting.   Maybe he and dad could SHAREon. ewww

• Members

The thing that doesn't work about this Nick twist is the fact that Bill Bell/Kay Alden/ even Latham and Arena Bell had always shown that Nick was more like Nikki than he was like Victor.  In fact, there was many times that Victor said he admired how good of a father Nick was to Noah/Faith/Casse.. and wished he'd been that way with him/Victoria/Adam.   

Since Harding Lemay recently passed, an old interview from the 2000s is online and he was asked about Marland's rules.. and he said that those rule were pretty rigid... He said his only rule is to look at the character and if you think of putting them in a situation... ask why.  So when Mal Y decided to have Nick do the JT mask as revenge for Victor/to scare Victoria, etc... he should have asked himself why Nick would do this... if you can't come up with plausible reasons for it.. that is a sign the plot won't work and you should move on.

Also, this concept of how each episode represents one day... does Mal still do this or has he abandoned it?  I recall reading an article awhile ago where Somerset tried this technique for awhile and it didn't work so it was abandoned.

• Members

Instead of recasting Adam (or bring MM back), they've handed this story to Nick. Would anyone really question Adam using JT mask, sabotaging Newman, partnering with Jack/Abby, etc.? It fits within his character.

Nick has been a business failure his entire life. If Jack created Dark Horse and hired Nick, I could somehow buy that. But Nick as the brains of this whole scheme? Shoot, I have an easier time buying Summer doing it. 

BTW - I wonder how hard those scenes were for MiM because she's actually expecting. I kind of remember Maura West saying she had time with her first exit on ATWT and having to do the Carly losing "Nora" scenes. Even though I hope MiM gets snapped up by a prime time/streaming series, I really do want her to return.  

• Members

I'm not sure. Her absence will leave a big hole in this family. 

Devon is the character that I think will suffer the most. I could see him really fading after she's gone. I don't know what they are going to do with him and I believe he will suffer great loss. 

Neil I think could benefit with a love interest. Nate I believe could be fine for the time being as the new doctor in town and as a supportive member of the family. Eventually they can get him a love interest.

They'll push Cane into various storylines. Maybe they will focus on Lily even more as a mother. Not sure what will happen with the teens. Charlie is the best of them IMO, but I feel like this storyline with Shauna is dragging him down. 

• Members

Exactly.  And it's a slap in the face they couldn't even have Devon there while the surgery was taking place.  One of the shows most successful pairings in years and he's nowhere to be seen.  Grrr.

Cane doesn't need to be pushed into other's stories, he's useless and should be gone instead of Hilary.

Yup.  TPTB tried for years to find another capable, talented actresses WOC to fill the hole VR left and when they finally get her in MiM, they let her walk.  

AC/Leslie had potential too.  

Yet they hold on to CK and MO 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Devon wasn't there so Nate could be the big man taking charge saving hilary. It wasn't Cane. At least not this time. @GMaci shouldn't be  surprised by how this went down because it's  part for the course with this show re bryton.  But I am anyway.

Winters will do the same thing  they did before Hilary. Be the backdrop for every new WOC the show casts. and when her story fails, cane and lily will play clean up. 

Agree that the show is probably done with Devon. They shouldn't be but they probably are. If they can cast for Neil AGAIN, they can surely cast for Devon too. But that's not gonna happen.

What i see them doing is cast for Nate and using Devon as foil. I don't think they'll make the mistake of using Neil in a triangle with him. And there is no one else besides Devon and Neil  unless they throw in Mariah as Nate's romantic rival. 

Please register in order to view this content

What they should do is have Nate be somewhat complicit in hilary's death by having that rumored infection be from him jumping in hastely without proper sterilization. Use that to launch a Devon and Nate rivalry.  Once it's estsablished, then bring on Nate's supposedly dead love by making that be a lie he told. See if either actor can make it work with the new actress. If one does, go with it. Don't try to force one over the other. 

• Members

Nikki is really annoying with her endless poor Victor drivel. Nick has been pushed to this behavior by a relentless tyrant of a father. I'm not really a fan of the character, but I find it realistic he'd continue to be sick and tired of Victor's insane need for control. The story would only be better if he also cut ties with Victor's biggest enabler- Nikki. 

I don't get why TPTB continue to shove Cane and Lily front and center, but let MM leave. I didn't care about Hilary that much, but a lot of it was due to her being tied in with such insufferably boring characters. I'd rather have seen her try and manipulate her way through the Newman family somehow. 

Archived