Could Ron C. create a soap?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And it was a horrible show.

I remember when news came out that Josh Griffith and JFP were coming to Y & R... my mom asked me if I knew much about them... I pulled up Ondemand and had her watch two weeks worth of episodes of Hollywood Heights.  After she watched them she said 'Y & R is screwed'

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thank you, @slick jones & @beebs

Please register in order to view this content

I (too) think that some of the most talented people that could potentially write a soap (or be a consultant) are on this forum. 

I'd like to see the likes of @Vee @DRW50 @vetsoapfan @Khan in positions like that given their great knowledge in the genre. 

• Members

Trust me, NBA, it wouldn't be pretty.  Actually, it'd be like when Niles on "Frasier" got fed up with his brother's "directing" of the radio drama they were all appearing on and started killing off all the characters.  ("Could the McAllister sisters stand back to back, I'm short on bullets!")

• Members

Thanks for the compliments, all, they are greatly appreciated.

Yeah, the soaps could have plumbed the wealth of knowledge and talent of a lot of this messageboards members for not just writers, but story consultants and continuity experts, LOL-- of which today's shows are in sore need!

I think I once mentioned how I attempted to contact ATWT's production arm (as ATWT had always been my fave and I was living/studying/working in NYC already) for an internship when I was in grad school in the early '00s (they were still on the air) but encountered a web of confusion and dysfunction.  I opted to pursue an internship with a small theater company instead, especially seeing as  playwrighting was likely to be my thesis anyway.

The only element that we lack on this board seems to be a producer.  Any producers in the house?

• Members

If Ron created a new soap I think it would be boring. He usually only has success when mining the history of a show and doing crazy things with it. Unless he remade a soap I don’t think it would be interesting. I’d be down for him to remake Passions though. 

• Members

Now do you think the creator of a soap should always head-write it, or do you think sometimes it would be better to just have someone else carry out the showrunner/head-writing duties?  Not everyone is a Bill Bell/Agnes Nixon after all.

Archived