Could Ron C. create a soap?

• Members

In answer to the question at the top of this thread... my experience watching different soaps has been: Be Careful What You Wish For.

I, too, would love to see my talented, smart forum friends create and write the soap of their dreams. However, so much of what RUINS a good soap is outside interference. From the network, from the production company (side-eyes Sony), from hopeless yes-men HWs, nosey-parkers in marketing who want synergy tie-ins with KFC...

So therefore, I would suggest that in addition to your talented selves at the helm of a show's imaginative life, you also hire a strong EP who can handle the talent and direct production beautifully, as well as a tough-guy enforcer to deal with the networks. This is a genre that cries out for a single strong vision and steady, united hand.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd go for Ed Scott who used to make Y&R and Days look gorgeous.

He also would give the actors notes and re-implemented some measure of rehearsal time. Actors were thrilled because they felt he was taking their craft seriously.

• Members

I think GENERATIONS had great potential, but it needed a little more guidance. Sally Sussman has great ideas, but she needs someone to help her with structure. I really liked Spyder Games and she worked on that. I think Christian McLaughlin really helped. The big issue with Spyder Games was budget.

• Members

Wendy Riche is an EP that could handle the networks and temperamental sponsors with skill... but sadly, I don't think that type of EP will ever be hired on soaps now.  Now it's all about staying within budget (as much as I didn't think Julie C was a good EP for AMC.. she always went over budget and got all the money Frank V didn't use on OLTL LOL).

Archived