Jump to content

Offbeat Soap Facts/News bits/Anecdotes you still remember


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, All My Shadows said:


And because Audrey Peters had not memorized all of the characters' names yet, Vanessa simply referred to all of her guests as "dear"

Please register in order to view this content

 

Right. Hilarious! (Although I don't blame her. I would have had trouble memorizing all that dialogue and all the characters' names too!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, All My Shadows said:


And because Audrey Peters had not memorized all of the characters' names yet, Vanessa simply referred to all of her guests as "dear"

Please register in order to view this content

 

In Paul Denis' 1984 book, Inside the Soaps, Audrey Peters had learned the names of the other characters on LOL but couldn't always pronounce them correctly. In one scene, she kept referring to the characters of Link and Tammy as "Tink and Lammy"!! 😨😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, amybrickwallace said:

 

In Paul Denis' 1984 book, Inside the Soaps, Audrey Peters had learned the names of the other characters on LOL but couldn't always pronounce them correctly. In one scene, she kept referring to the characters of Link and Tammy as "Tink and Lammy"!! 😨😂

 

Once on TEON, Ann Flood (Nancy Karr) was speaking to her husband Mike about her sister Cookie: "I'm going to go downtown and help Picky cook out a dress." ROTF! Live TV was amusing.

 

On the short-lived soap First Love, which was also broadcast live, Val Dufour was supposed to announce some terrible news, that a friend had just crashed his airplane. Dufour rushed into the room and cried, "Paul has crapped...!" Horrified at his error, he stopped dead instead of finishing the sentence. He might have been able to minimize the damage by continuing, "Paul has crapped...I mean CRASHED his plane!" But no. He just...stopped. Upon hearing the breathtaking news that Paul had "crapped," the other actors in the scene, including Patricia Barry, gagged to hold back their laughter.

Edited by vetsoapfan
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2018 at 8:41 PM, amybrickwallace said:

I think Chrishell Stause Hartley (Amanda Dillon Martin, AMC) told SOD that it wasn't her ex-fiance's fault that he thought monogamy was a tree. Great quote. Now she's married to Justin Hartley, another former daytimer gone on to major success in primetime, so she got the last laugh.

Wasn't she referring to Glee's Matthew Morrison? No name was mentioned, but we all knew.

Kinda like how Justin Hartley recently dragged for Lindsay Korman on a talk show without saying her name.

Link to post
Share on other sites

She has some titles for 2018 on her IMDb page, so she's working. I'm assuming she's still using Hartley. I still think Korman when she crosses my mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I read in an old soap book that David O'Brien (Dr. Steve Aldrich, The Doctors) was in the middle of a heavy storyline once and so fatigued that he didn't recognize his own agent when they bumped into each other on the street. Oops...😂😂😂😂😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2018 at 8:10 PM, amybrickwallace said:

Paul Denis' 1984 book, Inside the Soaps,

I just got a copy of it on Amazon, it doesn't hold up well to time but it was a fun read.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mary Stuart recounts a few live tales in her book.

 

Once,there was supposed to be a phone call,but the show (live)  was running late so in the commercial break they cut it from the next scene.

When the show resumed,the phone rang(the message did not get through to the sound effects guy.)

 

Larry Haines and Melba Rae were in the scene and the phone kept ringing so Melba picked it up and immediately handed it to Larry saying 'it's for you'. Larry responded "wrong number',hung up and continued the scene.

 

Another time Mary was in a scene with Lynn Loring,her young daughter Patti.

They were in the kitchen and were supposed to move onto the porch to peel vegetables,or some such thing.

Loring then piped up that she wanted to stay inside,confusing Mary, who disagreed in an attempt to keep to the script.

Lynn then said something about it looks like rain.

Mary then saw the crew telling her to stay where they were.

Seems the porch set had collapsed and Lynn had spotted it and ad-libbed to save the scene.

Edited by Paul Raven
Link to post
Share on other sites
On Thursday, June 21, 2018 at 11:39 PM, Paul Raven said:

Another time Mary was in a scene with Lynn Loring,her young daughter Patti.

They were in the kitchen and were supposed to move onto the porch to peel vegetables,or some such thing.

Loring then piped up that she wanted to stay inside,confusing Mary, who disagreed in an attempt to keep to the script.

Lynn then said something about it looks like rain.

Mary then saw the crew telling her to stay where they were.

Seems the porch set had collapsed and Lynn had spotted it and ad-libbed to save the scene.

 

It seems that even as a child, Miss Loring had great instincts. Kudos to her for thinking fast and saving the scene.

Edited by amybrickwallace
Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was little, watching Love of Life with my grandmother, there was a scene with Veleka Gray in bed. She had to get up to answer the door and her boob kind of fell out to the side and was clearly visible. My grandmother nearly had a heart attack.  I don't think the show was live, or maybe it was, but it was not edited out.  

 

Not many older soap fans realize that Edge of Night exec producer, Nick Nicholson, was sort of a Frank Valentini of daytime.  He hired many gay and lesbian actors (Lois Kibbee, Joel Crothers, Dennis Parker, Irving Allen Lee, the guy who played Damien, the first Kelly).  

Edited by RavenWhitney
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, RavenWhitney said:

When I was little, watching Love of Life with my grandmother, there was a scene with Veleka Gray in bed. She had to get up to answer the door and her boob kind of fell out to the side and was clearly visible. My grandmother nearly had a heart attack.  I don't think the show was live, or maybe it was, but it was not edited out.  

 

Not many older soap fans realize that Edge of Night exec producer, Nick Nicholson, was sort of a Frank Valentini of daytime.  He hired many gay and lesbian actors (Lois Kibbee, Joel Crothers, Dennis Parker, Irving Allen Lee, the guy who played Damien, the first Kelly).  

Thank you! I remember in the 70s my mom, aunt, and mom's best friend would get together every week to dish their favorite soaps. My uncle Jimmy joined in the conversation one day and mentioned the scene where Veleka Gray's boob popped out.

 

If I remember correctly, Dennis Parker and the first Kelly (Joey Alan Phipps) were lovers at one point. I recall reading that in a fascinating bio about Parker.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RavenWhitney said:

When I was little, watching Love of Life with my grandmother, there was a scene with Veleka Gray in bed. She had to get up to answer the door and her boob kind of fell out to the side and was clearly visible. My grandmother nearly had a heart attack.  I don't think the show was live, or maybe it was, but it was not edited out.  

 

Not many older soap fans realize that Edge of Night exec producer, Nick Nicholson, was sort of a Frank Valentini of daytime.  He hired many gay and lesbian actors (Lois Kibbee, Joel Crothers, Dennis Parker, Irving Allen Lee, the guy who played Damien, the first Kelly).  

 

The difference was he hired gay and lesbian performers that could act... and didn't parade around half-naked all the time... just on special occasions (hence the gasps when it did happen since it was something new and interesting.... I think nowadays, if a soap featured the male characters with their shirts and never without them on.. it would illicit the same gasp..imho).

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RavenWhitney said:

 

 

Not many older soap fans realize that Edge of Night exec producer, Nick Nicholson, was sort of a Frank Valentini of daytime.  He hired many gay and lesbian actors (Lois Kibbee, Joel Crothers, Dennis Parker, Irving Allen Lee, the guy who played Damien, the first Kelly).  

And the other soaps didn't?

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Soapsuds
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Community Activity

    1. 3,388

      Soap Hoppers --The Soap Actors And Roles Thread

    2. 46

      Bold and Beautiful June 2021 Discussion

    3. 11

      Y&R's Doug Davidson v. Nelson Branco?!!

    4. 2,625

      Loving/The City Discussion Thread

    5. 3,388

      Soap Hoppers --The Soap Actors And Roles Thread

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy