Offbeat Soap Facts/News bits/Anecdotes you still remember

• Members

Beanie Babies were to the 90's as what Pet Rocks were to the 70's. I remember those things being piled high and crammed in car windows where the driver could barely see. I think CR also did some time for tax evasion back in the mid 80's and was on work release to continue on GH

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yes, CR was arrested for tax evasion in the mid-1980s. He did indeed do work release at that time, and was in custody when not on the GH set.

Back to the centerfold I was mentioning with Robert Kelker-Kelly and Miriam Parrish, SOM mentioned on the cover that it was "Daytime's Sexiest Centerfold!" I do not agree. Daytime's SLEAZIEST Centerfold? Absolutely.

• Members

I'm trying to remember. I know certain soap mags ended up doing risque pictorials of male stars. TV By Day had a very sexy speedo shot of Nick Benedict (Phil on AMC), and Daily TV Serials had hot, skimpy underwear shots of Beau Kayser (Brock, Y&R).

• Members

Wow.. and people think the 80s was the start of featuring beef cake soap actors LOL 

I'm pleasantly surprised to see some nice 70s pictorials of some of the male stars

Please register in order to view this content

The difference back then was that the actors could actually act and had personality to go with their looks.

• Members

Oh yes! I remember that now ! RM was a very handsome man but Scott Banning was a go-nowhere role. And the definitive Scott, IMHO, was the likeable Mike Farrell.

George Reinholt

Please register in order to view this content

Ryan MacDonald

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

I distinctly remember a rather risqué pictorial with Kin Shriner circa 1978-1979. It may have been in Daytime TV or Afternoon TV. In the photos, he was frolicking around on the beach and wearing skimpy shorts. Apparently, the editors missed the fact that a portion of his genitalia was quite visible in one of the photos.

• Members

There was a shot of Richard Guthrie wearing short-shorts, with part of a testicle exposed, when the actor was on Days. And TV Dawn to Dusk printed a picture from a Y&R party, where Tom Hallick was opening fondling Brenda Dickson's breast. The caption remarked that although he was surrounded by beautiful castmates, Hallick had the situation "well in hand," LOL.

• Members

This day and time Tom Hallick would have had a sexual harassment suit on his hands and the loss of his job.

The 70's/80's was a big time when they pushed the male model/beefcake angle. There were a ton of movies and TV shows that featured it as a plot and actors were posing in nude/risque layouts for magazines.  Y&R even hired professional stripper/nude model John Gibson as Cash the owner of The Bayou. JG was engaged to marry Vanna White when he was killed in a plane crash in 1986.

Reading old magazines is funny in hindsight when you see what great lengths they went to hide actors private lives and doing features like TV's most eligible bachelors etc...Actors on the list would include people like Anthony Geary, Richard Guthrie, Terry Lester, David O'Brien, Dennis Cooney etc...