GH: May 18 Discussion Thread

• Members

He's made some mistakes (Anna/Faison) but Van Etten is incredibly funny on a public twitter account he probably shouldn't have, and I did see improvement in the show when I last looked in. He has some of Carlivati's wit but more humanity and depth day to day, and more nuance. I remember the rumor that he was next in line for the revolving door of HWs at OLTL 2.0 in '13 before Prospect Park finally went down. He also has an existing outside career as a novelist. There's real potential in his work, it's just a shame it's stuck on a bargain basement version of GH.

I think Frank micromanages a ton of the show, and I would like to see what Van Etten could do without him and possibly another much more seasoned co-writer. Preferably someone from the longtime writer corps of '90s-2000s GH, or even Karen Harris, who is almost certainly not coming back.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Nurse's Ball has been a joke for a while now. Characters like Mac and Felicia who were around when Stone passed and have supported Robin for years should be present. No need for Mr. Marbles to be here, but Mac should be.  

I hate the "blue lighting special". Why can't Frank fix the lighting?

The Red Carpet bit was awful. Between Franko's hamming it up and Nina making faces behind character's backs (not to mention handsome but vapid Nick Viall), it's just pathetic.  Where's Donny Sheldon?

• Members

Agree.  One of the budget techniques I think BB and YR have used is to really keep the casts small, that is those who appear more than once a month.  Days and GH still fill the screen with lots of day players to make budget and while it can be more interesting to have an episode with 14 or more characters, it never lasts and the recurring characters disappear and beats are never played.  Just cut down big time on the recurring list and add to the contracts players per show minimums and tell a few good stories at a time. Someone intervened in the GH writers' plans in Jan/Feb when they got rid of Genie and switched gears.  It felt like an intervention.  

• Members

The reviews for this year's Nurse's Ball have been uniformly negative, but personally, I liked the Nurse's Ball alot less last year than this year.  Now that GH has fallen to last place, I am wondering if there might be some changes in writing and production staff behind the scenes.  Could this be the last Nurse's Ball if the show doesn't get cancelled altogether?  With ABC, it is hard to predict.

• Members

I hate to say anything positive about Sonny, but it was cute when he sang with Mike.

Ava looked fierce but that performance... no thanks. Lame performances all around. I miss Magic Milo. Why was Liz not in the closing number? I noticed that she and Franco disappeared after the first day (not complaining about Franco's absence).

Archived