OWN picks up Jamey Giddens scripted show!

• Members

Exactly.  A (good) series' audience might be small in the beginning and either maintain its' size or (God willing) expand over time.  However, if a series begins with a small audience and then LOSES half of that audience -- especially in the beginning, when initial impressions are critical -- then there's a better than good chance that viewers at least sampled the show at the start, didn't think the show was "going anywhere," and quickly tuned out.

I'm not suggesting OWN couldn't or wouldn't have renewed "Ambitions" for a second season, but they looked at the numbers and likely believed the potential for growth (or, at the very least, stability) was not there to justify the expense of more episodes.  Moreover, if they HAD renewed the show, given its' poor ratings performance, they probably would have renewed with the caveat that Jamey and the rest of the team overhaul every aspect of the show, from the cast on down.

Edited by Khan

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Jamey got a chance and it wasnt my cup of tea but I was happy for him. If he wants to find a new home for Ambitions, go for it

As for PP & his reactions. Look He didnt like the players (PP) BTS and he was right. The shows were great but Rich & Jeff mismanaged them by spending so much coin on catering so the actors wouldnt leave campus. Then they did overwork the crew and that led to the strike. 

Like I said the shows were good but Jeff & Frank had no idea how to do a daily soap and DC were right to call them out

Edited by John

• Members

It's just as well.  "Ambitions" wasn't exactly a cult hit that got treated unfairly by its' network.

My advice: work on adapting "Ambitions" as a novel instead.  Who knows?  If the book becomes a "Fifty Shades"/"Outlander" kind of hit, maybe a new and different network or streaming platform might be interested to pick it up again as a limited or ongoing series.  Stranger things have happened.

• Members

PP was absolutely mismanaged, but DC's objection to those shows was not about that. They objected to them not being made by Carlivati and Valentini, who they'd felt had been robbed. DC was easily flattered or courted by many creatives over the years; it was a cult of personality.

Edited by Vee

• Members

FWIW, from what I've been reading in trade blogs, OWN has been going on quite the dumping spree lately.  A number of their shows are being canceled these days.  My guess is that they are looking to shift the types of programming they had become known for in the past five or six years. 

Perhaps they're following the Netflix model of 1-3 seasons and then gone for most series?

• Members

It's been years since I listened to the DC podcast but I do remember JG mocking Eric Nelsen's acting style, which I thought was kind of harsh, especially with Nelsen having relatively little experience in the daytime genre (I think he previously had a daypart role as a child for one episode of GL), I was more inclined to give him a bit more time before passing judgement.  Well, Nelsen got the last laugh because his resume has only grown since then.