Jump to content
Paul Raven

Characters that didn't survive a recast...

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, YurSoakinginit said:

And you're right: Then came Billy Warlock all the way from Mars, looking nothing like either of his predecessors, to play neither of their versions of AJ. (This accomplishment obviously made him a shoe-in to replace Michael Lowry, who replaced Shawn Christian, as Ross on OLTL.)

I was going to mention Billy Warlock on OLTL but then didn't he just play the character for a month or something? Wasn't the character brought back just to be killed off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, amybrickwallace said:

The Salem Stalker storyline was so utterly pointless, since no one actually died. I still wonder what Ken Corday was smoking.

 

It wasn't Ken Corday who was smoking something funny, lol.  The Salem Stalker storyline was all James E. Reilly's idea; and depending on who's telling the story, bringing back all the victims was never part of his game plan.  IOW, JER meant for all those characters to die and to stay dead.  The plan changed only when Corday panicked and INSISTED they be brought back, which is how we ended up with the whole "Melaswen" mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Khan said:

 

It wasn't Ken Corday who was smoking something funny, lol.  The Salem Stalker storyline was all James E. Reilly's idea; and depending on who's telling the story, bringing back all the victims was never part of his game plan.  IOW, JER meant for all those characters to die and to stay dead.  The plan changed only when Corday panicked and INSISTED they be brought back, which is how we ended up with the whole "Melaswen" mess.

Yep, and NBC pretty much forced Corday to bring JER back in 2003 or they wouldn't renew DAYS. Corday talks about in his book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You both are right...I stand corrected. I always forget that JER returned to DAYS and was writing Passions at the same time. I haven't read Ken Corday's book but I probably should. I'll see if my library has it.

 

To his credit, JER created memorable stories that often had spectacular payoffs (my favorite was in August and September 1997 when Sami's lies about faking amnesia and most importantly, Will's paternity, were uncovered when she was about to marry Austin). But I was also disturbed by how violent and misogynistic they were - but of the two soaps, Passions was much more violent and misogynistic. I guess NBC didn't care as long as they got the precious teen demographic. 😠

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But why didn’t JER just quit if he was forced to bring them back.  He had the power and the clout and also could have walked with ease.  Unless him bringing DAYS up was tied to a Passions renewal.

 

It was clear the story changed as a viewer.  And maybe they were all supposed to stay dead.  But I can’t believe the show at that time would have allowed Marlena to be killed off too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sindacco said:

John Clarke asked TPTB to kill Mickey off instead of Maggie during the Salem Stalker storyline. He wanted to retire and he didn't want Suzanne Rogers to lose her job. Since they brought all the SSK victims back from the dead they might have been forced to recast the role anyway.

 

That's interesting, never knew that. 

 

Unfortunately I still have the memory of Bonnie Lockhart serving up very spicy chili to Julie and Richard Voigts' Mickey and the two getting diarrhea as a result forever etched into my brain. I guess JER forget he wasn’t writing for Beth(who crapped her pants during a confrontation with Sheridan around the same time) and her mother(who peed on Beth’s wedding dress) on Passions when he had Voigt’s Mickey Horton crap himself.

 

 

At least John Ingle brought some humor and balance to the proceedings. I had hoped Kevin Dobson would have worked out, at least he restored some freshness that I felt Mickey and Maggie had lost in the 90s and early '00s. 

Edited by soapfan770

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sindacco said:

I was going to mention Billy Warlock on OLTL but then didn't he just play the character for a month or something? Wasn't the character brought back just to be killed off?

 

Yes. So Ross is also, technically, a character that didn't survive a recast. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Khan said:

 

It wasn't Ken Corday who was smoking something funny, lol.  The Salem Stalker storyline was all James E. Reilly's idea; and depending on who's telling the story, bringing back all the victims was never part of his game plan.  IOW, JER meant for all those characters to die and to stay dead.  The plan changed only when Corday panicked and INSISTED they be brought back, which is how we ended up with the whole "Melaswen" mess.

And the show has been trying to recover from the mess ever since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sindacco said:

John Clarke asked TPTB to kill Mickey off instead of Maggie during the Salem Stalker storyline. He wanted to retire and he didn't want Suzanne Rogers to lose her job. Since they brought all the SSK victims back from the dead they might have been forced to recast the role anyway.

 

John Clarke is such a good man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, soapfan770 said:

Unfortunately I still have the memory of Bonnie Lockhart serving up very spicy chili to Julie and Richard Voigts' Mickey and the two getting diarrhea as a result forever etched into my brain. I guess JER forget he wasn’t writing for Beth(who crapped her pants during a confrontation with Sheridan around the same time) and her mother(who peed on Beth’s wedding dress) on Passions when he had Voigt’s Mickey Horton crap himself.

 

That is just NASTY. Even worse is that this show airs during the hour where many people eat lunch. Gross!!!!

On Tuesday, March 06, 2018 at 7:47 PM, YurSoakinginit said:

Then there's the opposite side. Like on OLTL, where Nicholas Walker was chosen to replace James DePaiva as Max - over seemingly better fits like Richard Eden (ex-Brick Wallace, SaBa) 

 

I remember reading that Richard Eden turned OLTL down because he wanted to stay on the West Coast. What I didn't know was that he was in the running for the role of Max.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, amybrickwallace said:

 

That is just NASTY. Even worse is that this show airs during the hour where many people eat lunch. Gross!!!!

There was also a scene of Bonnie, Maggie, Mickey and Max the dog in bed together, LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, amybrickwallace said:

I think John Clarke got out at just the right time!! 😨😨😨😨😨

Oh I don’t know.  As awful as that was (and it was truly awful), it had to be better than the near 15 years he had spent not being anything but uncle Mickey the lawyer when his family needed one.  He truly deserved better.

 

As someone that started watching the show in the 80’s, you would have no idea just how important he was to the show.  Dr. Horton and Alice had so much more to do than he did by that time.

Edited by titan1978

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, titan1978 said:

Oh I don’t know.  As awful as that was (and it was truly awful), it had to be better than the near 15 years he had spent not being anything but uncle Mickey the lawyer when his family needed one.  He truly deserved better.

 

As someone that started watching the show in the 80’s, you would have no idea just how important he was to the show.  Dr. Horton and Alice had so much more to do than he did by that time.

But he was happy with that. One of the reasons he retired in early 2004 was because of the increased workload. JER started using Mickey more than before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...