Stop Trying to Make ... Happen!

Franko

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Eddie Cibrian. 

Please TV Gods, stop. His only success was Third Watch, but not thanks to him, it was more of an ensemble show. But after that ended, LORD: Invasion, Vanished, CSI: Miami, The Playboy Club, Rosewood and now he's the star of the upcoming ABC shows starring Rachel Bilson. He doesn't and never will have "star of the show" quality.

Also, for some reason, Kevin Alejandro. I like him on "Lucifer", however before that it seemed he was in EVERY show on the television EVERY season. I started rooting for him to get a successful show I wouldn't be watching but he would then stop appearing on EVERY other show I liked.

• Members

Alex O'Laughlin. I thought he and Sophia Myles were perfectly fine on Moonlight, although Jason Dohring stole the show as his snarky vampire friend (I know he's best known for Veronica Mars but that's what I remember Dohring best for ). It was canceled by CBS, which I never quite understood (it was replaced by Close to Home, starring another "stop trying" candidate, Jennifer Finnegan), and clearly CBS was also torn, as they put O'Laughlin in what seemed to be 2-3 different shows until he was put in Hawaii 5-0. I've never watched it, as most of my main interest in the original amounted to thinking James Macarthur (RIP) was a very handsome man, but I'm sure he's fine - my parents like him well enough, anyway. It just seems like a CBS programmer though.

Poor Sophia Myles. I have no idea where she is now. Coming to the US for that show helped break up her relationship to David Tennant. I suppose Georgia Moffat is very happy for Moonlight's existence. 

Edited by DRW50
Sophia Myles, NOT Sophie Marceau

• Members

I DEFINITELY agree.  Sure, AO'L has had some success with the "Hawaii 5-0" reboot.  OTOH, you can watch an episode of that show and almost forget he's even there.  And remember when he did the movie w/ Jennifer Lopez?  All that seemed to accomplish was kill his film career before it even began.

I knew when I saw her in "Angel of Christmas" on the Hallmark Channel that she'd had it.  IMO, once you land in the Hallmark gutter, you pretty much stay there.  (And I say that as one who LOVES Hallmark movies -- schlocky as they are.)  At this point, JF might as well crawl back to B&B or join some other soap.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Ah.

I could be wrong, but I feel like Ferrin is on the verge of landing that huge, star-making role.  Sort of like when Sarah Michelle Gellar was cast as Buffy.

Once upon a time, I might have added Jason Isaacs to this list.  He seemed to have better luck in films and limited series than he did in ongoing stuff.  Then, he was cast in "Star Trek: Discovery."  So, who knows?  He might have a real hit on his hands this time.

For sure, though, I'd add Jason O'Mara.  "The Agency," "In Justice," the U.S. "Life on Mars," "Terra Nova," "Vegas" -- the guy does NOT belong in a series (as anything other than a recurring or guest star).

Edited by Khan

• Members

Has anyone mentioned James (Jimmy) Wolk?

Two other names: they're writer/producers and not actors.  Nevertheless, the industry needs to stop making Kyle Killen and Bryan Fuller (yes, I said Bryan Fuller) happen.

If I had to choose which show runner were the more talented, I'd pick Fuller.  (Killen's stuff is dull to watch and totally unworkable from a series premise point-of-view.)  However, Fuller has two pesky habits: either his shows die a quick (but, I will admit, regretful) death; or, he ends up clashing behind-the-scenes with the higher-ups (usually over budget concerns) and walking away.  

Frankly, I think the time has come for Fuller to transition into films.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I just checked and it turns out Close to Home was canceled a year before Moonlight, so clearly I was mixing it up with something else on CBS at that time.

Sorry for the decade or so of my tut-tutting, Jennifer. Best of luck with your career...

Oh I remember that Fox show about Texas oil wells - was it Fox? It was supposed to be a huge hit and when it was a flop there was a collective tsk-tsk and pearl-clutch from critics and the media. I never knew why. 

I've already made my issues with Fuller more than clear (too clear, probably), so I will keep it zipped.