Stop Trying to Make ... Happen!

Franko

• Members

The guy that was on Yes, Dear (which I watched for most of its run, cheesy as it was, until they kept changing timeslots - I think part of the reason might have been to kill it off)? Apparently he mostly sells houses now. 

I never thought Mike O'Malley would have the most prolific career from that show.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I know he was on Arrested Development and has done well in producing, but i'd add Henry Winkler, who, bar Night Shift, has mostly only had flops after Happy Days (and to be honest I never got his appeal on there either, but then, I never cared for that show).

• Members

`

He was also on the short-lived Dan Akroyd show about the pastor before Yes, Dear. 

Yes, Dear only lasted as long as it did because of Mike O'Malley as he was the only one with talent on the show. It was a show with a good idea but absolutely horrendous execution. As for the rest of the cast they were nobodies beforehand and became nobodies afterward. I was never a fan of any of the '00's comedies that came out with instant syndication while they still aired (Yes, Dear, Still Standing, My Wife & Kids, War at Home) as they were are generally stupid in my humble opinion. 

My Wife & Kids! Talk about putrid, I can't believe the Wayan's kept trying to sell it as a modern day Cosby when all the characters were unlikable. And how "According to Jim" lasted so long is very, very mysterious. That show, like Mad About You has never been run in syndication. 

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

When Mike O'Malley is your most talented cast member, you KNOW your series ain't worth a damn.

That would not surprise me.

YD always struck me as a series where, as far as its writers and producers were concerned, "good" was good enough.  So what if a story for a particular episode was predictable, or if a punch line was met with a chuckle rather than a hard laugh?  It's three in the afternoon, I've got to pick up my kids from day care/school, and traffic on the 405 is going to be a bitch, so let's just say it's good enough and wrap it up for the day.

That's what I love about shows like "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" and "The Bob Newhart Show."  Even if every episode wasn't a winner, you, as the viewer, could tell you were watching shows where the people involved in making them didn't settle for anything less than the absolute funniest and most surprising.

There was a period of time when every other sitcom seemed to be about an overweight, schlumpy-looking man who was married to a comparatively more attractive woman.  "The King of Queens" (which might have started the trend), "Still Standing," "According to Jim," even "Yes, Dear" to some extent.  They were all indistinguishable, and one reason why the multi-camera sitcom seemed to be on the endangered species list for awhile.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Ones that annoy me right now....Peter Krause, Connie Britton and Josh Radnor. Even the commercials for the new Radnor show annoy me, and I was one of the five people watching Mercy Street in spite of his martyr ish, whiny character.

I've tried to get Krause in a couple if things, and he always seems to be the same put upon schlub. 

Ditto for Britton. Nashville was flawed from the minute they cast the low key and charisma free lead, and now 911 is trying to sell her as some mommy sex goddess, or at least that what it seemed to be after like 3 episodes, when I gave up. 

• Members

I've never gotten the Britton hype - I always thought she was a bit offputting the few times I tried the overrated Friday Night Lights. I do admire that she spoke out against anti-gay laws in Tennessee before the show moved production there. 

The oddest part was when the media went wild over Ryan Murphy's vanity production on OJ, saying she looked and sounded just like Faye Resnick. She looked more like Diane Ladd than Faye Resnick, yet there was this huge push that went on for weeks for some type of "moment." I never got it. I still don't. 

Krause is a basically unsympathetic leading man, which is one of many reasons, along with smug writing and Felicity Huffman, Sports Night failed. Six Feet Under cast him perfectly because Nate Fisher was a huge ass and the writing openly acknowledged it many times over.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I find it odd Peter Krause is still getting cast in things as he really does comes off as too Cold. I knew Shonda had cast him in The Catch and tried to sell him as well a catch even Krause though was fifty years old. Of course it and the show did not work. 

Yeah I remember for some reason that was the format for a lot of sitcoms and boy were they mediocre. The multi-camera sitcom these days is only sustained by CBS and some of cable kid shows. 

• Members

I miss the multi-camera sitcom format.. and very rarely like single cam shows (The Middle being an exception).  To me, it doesn't matter the format the sitcom is presented in as long as you have good writing and performers with good comic timing (Newhart in the 80s was multi-cam.. yet the writing and performers were top notch.).

• Members

Praise.

Although, oddly, I liked her in Nashville the most. I just remembered what an odd fit she was on Spin City, sucking the energy out of the room.

I'm thinking also of various nineties film actresses:

Julia Ormond

Monica Potter

Gretchen Mol

And how many times can they push Sienna Miller? 

• Members

Another actress I remember they tried to push on the 90's was Lisa Reiffel. They tried to bring her in as a replacement for Kristy McNichol as the younger sister Emily on Empty Nest. She didn't last long. She then turned up on Women Of The House with Delta Burke and that failed. Then a few years later she was cast as the sister to Leah Remini on King Of Queens and she was gone in like 6 episodes. She has done several short lived shows and roles that I haven't mentioned.