Stop Trying to Make ... Happen!

Franko

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Jennifer Aniston is does great as long she isn't expected to carry the movie by herself. There's still people out there don't get her appeal and why she still draws the attention the way she does.

Who would have thought that Anna Kendrick would've had the most successful one from the Twilight franchise ( I watched the first two)? 

• Members

I will just go ahead an be honest. I don't get the love for Friends. I watched the first couple of years, then got bored. It's not one of my favorites and I get sick of it being on just about every channel in syndication. There are probably 20 channels rerunning in blocks and marathons. I wish it fade into the past. 

As for the actors, they all tooled around for years in Hollywood in bit roles, short lived series, and guest shots. This series was pretty much their last chance to make the big time. Lucky for them it did. 

• Members

Yeah. Not a Friends fan at all. Seinfeld and Frasier were far superior.

Aniston had like five failed sitcoms (including that weird Ferris Bueller reboot) before landing Friends and Matthew Perry had around that many (and was only really known for being killed off Growing Pains). Matt LeBlanc and Courteney Cox at least had roles on Married... with Children and Family Ties, respectively. But they all lucked out with Friends (a bunch of them had worked with Kauffman/Crane on Dream On).

I know they’ve had varying levels of success since Friends ended, but who cares? None of them have to work again. Nor do Jason Alexander or Kaley Cuoco or Rhea Perlman or Nancy Cartwright or Jesse Tyler Ferguson. Being on a long-running hit sitcom that gets sold into syndication is like hitting the jackpot.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Oversaturation is definitely part of it. Once the cast starting becoming household names, they were everywhere, and it took away from the chemistry and strength of the writing. Magazines, talk shows, some movie duds (Matt LeBlanc with the monkey who played baseball!). There were a lot of gimmick guest stars, too. Some were out of the park good, like Christina Applegate and Paul Rudd, others not so much.

It's a shame because some of the early episodes, the poker one in particular for me, were well-written and displayed the strength of each actor, who were still finding their niches. There was an innocence in that first season that epitomizes the mid-90s to a tee.

As I got older, certain things started to annoy me more and more... the continuous dumbing down of Joey, trying to force a Joey/Rachel pairing, Phoebe being so mean and losing the essence of the character, Ross becoming a total horndog.

• Members

Lol I don't know what she has been in recently but I remember she was part of the ensemble flick "He's Just Not Into You" or something in 2008/2009ish and I was like "Aniston is too old be trying play this ripped off Friends material" with Aniston' basically playing as Rachel against Ben Affleck in the role of a Ross-type character. 

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

It was refreshing to see play Aniston an OTT, horny, raunchy, agressive character on Horrible Bosses that is a total opposite  from Rachel and most of her uptight, neurotic passive aggressive characters that she  usually plays. 

Edited by sivad40

• Members

Aniston mostly just exists for tabloid sales. Her Oscar campaign a few years ago seemed to get shut down fast. 

The NBC '90s sitcoms haven't aged well, to me - they (like NBC in general in that era) were very smarmy and smug, and all very samey. I did enjoy the first few years of Seinfeld, but once the show became popular it became a pointless self-parody. 

• Members

I loved Seinfeld (it had a real POV that rings true for a certain narcissistic New York sensibility, way more than Woody Allen ever did) and still quote it incessantly, but I do agree it became a self-parody toward the end. As if it had to generate a “Catchphrase of the Week” with every episode and poke fun at the “Show About Nothing” tag that was so popular in the media. I’m sure the creators saw it as clever and meta, but it wore thin after a while. It really shouldn’t have run as long as it did, which is true for the vast majority of American sitcoms. The British way of 6-13 episodes a season is much more sustainable.

Edited by Faulkner