Soap Vets That You Never Got Their Appeal

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is a tough one for me, because while there are actors I dislike, I can usually figure out a reason for their appeal. It might be looks, it might be that someone high up is pushing for them, it might just be quirkiness.

Now that my sermon's over, I'll go with Roger Howarth.

• Members

Don’t know if he’s considered a vet, but Chandler Massey is pretty high up on my list. For the life of me, I don’t see what’s so appealing about him.

Maura West is another I’ve never understood.

To this day, I have never understood why Guiding Light felt it needed Kim Zimmer back in 1995.

• Members

From what I have read in the past, JFP resisted bringing back KZ at first.  However, by '95, GL's ratings were falling, and TPTB at CBS or P&G believed a KZ/Reva return might reverse the trend.  I think that's why we got "Ghost Reva" as her big return story, too.  JFP wanted to see if, in fact, KZ and the "Reva phenomenon" could bring back lapsed viewers (without committing to anything TOO long-term).  If the story didn't bring back viewers as they had hoped, then all the writers would've had to do was wrap up the "Blithe Spirit"-esque arc with Josh, Annie and Reva's ghost, maybe by having the ghost disappear or explain it all away as Josh's conscience.  But, of course, that isn't what happened.

IMO, Maura West was an absolute revelation when she first appeared on ATWT.  She and Carly were so edgy and unique and a breath of fresh air after a series of somewhat wan actors and characters.  I really felt like she was poised to be an Eileen Fulton for the new generation.  Unfortunately, when she came back to the show after some time away (I forget how long), it seemed as if both character and actor had changed, and not necessarily for the better.

• Members

ACTORS

Eric Braeden 

Kim Zimmer (Her persona is so annoying. Ugh.)

Maurice Benard

Michelle Stafford

Alicia Minshew

Victoria Wyndham 

Nancy Lee Grahn 

Tony Geary

PRODUCERS & WRITERS

Jill Farren Phelps

Mary Ellis Bunim

Paul Rauch

Chuck Pratt

James E. Reilly

Hogan Sheffer

• Members

Michelle Stafford tops my list. I can't say I watch GH much anymore, so I'm only referencing her portrayal as Phyllis. I prefer Gina Tognoni's performance -- spunky, a little more understated, seldom histrionical, and more relatable. MS's Phyllis seemed like a cartoon. 

I'm on the fence with Maura West. I liked her early years of Carly on ATWT, but the second stint was a bit up and down. I think she could've worked on Y&R, but not as Diane. 

Eric Braeden stems from my dislike of Victor. That said, I think EB can have great chemistry with younger actors, especially children.

• Members

------Soap Vets That You Never Got Their Appeal!!------

Eric Braeden, Y&R

David Canary, AMC

Maurice Benard, GH

Laura Wright, GH

Roger Howarth, GH

Rebecca Herbst, GH

Nancy Lee Grahn, GH

Katherine Kelly Lang, B&B

John McCook, B&B

Patricia Bruder, ATWT