Y&R: October 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The pacing is too quick, and it feels like too many beats are being played offscreen. 

Billy on the balcony, dead hooker and Snortoria's collapse didn't all have to occur in such quick order in one day. This isn't UpChuck Pratt's show. Say what you will about Sally, but you could follow her stories without trying to piece together what happened from the end of Wednesday to the beginning of Thursday.

• Members

Mal's introduction to US soaps was Jill Farren Phelps and Chuck Pratt.

So it's all about 'incidents' and 'shocking twists'.

If you have to change character direction and motivation thats OK because the characters are there to serve the plot.

He probably knows or cares little for the history of the show.

• Members

Lol what were Sallys stories again? U mean the dumb Gloria comes back crap, the insta Victoria/Billy romance, nikki playing piano. She had zero stories just long drawn out dull scenes that went nowhere. The only stories she had were stories she rode coattails on Pratt. Ratings were at all time low.

Pratts high: 5.6 million

Sallys high: 4.3 million.

She was 1.3 million in viewers. I love the fast pace and Mal has been here two years now almost. From supervising producer to EP. He even stated on his UK shows he was EP/HW. He said doesnt get the seperate head writer from EP because things got lost in translation. CBS is very behind him. Heck i could actually watch the show instead of fall asleep.

• Members

Mal well very well get the numbers up, not consistently but spikes during sweeps.

I think Sony/CBS are indeed behind him and why not if he delivers better demos.

The feeling seems to be that the core viewers who have been watching for years will stay around so long as there is some familiarity eg characters they know.

Otherwise they have to grab other viewers with promotable stunts and stories that might keep them watching for a certain time and if they move away a new group of casual viewers will tune in.

So expect more

affairs

quick marriages/divorces

deaths

murders

illnesses

etc etc

• Members

Well at least we are not talking about up ratings after ONE DAY.

Please register in order to view this content

That said...I think my comment comparing him to LML and Pratt already shows what one can expect. Given that a lot of his direction EP wise however though was a throwback to old Y&R, I don't think it's fair to say he cares little for Y&R history though.

Well at least we are not talking about up ratings after ONE DAY.

That said...I think my comment comparing him to LML and Pratt already shows what one can expect. Given that a lot of his direction EP wise however though was a throwback to old Y&R, I don't think it's fair to say he cares little for Y&R history though.

• Members

The "transition" from Sally's writing to Mal's was brutal. His "style," if you can call it that, seems a lot like JFP and Pratt's: plot contrivances, shocking "twists," with a little humor thrown in (the Phyllis/Billy scenes were interesting in a different way), with little attention to transitions or playing the emotional beats. The show seems very uneven (Paul's character, in two days, has been savaged). Maybe he'll fix it, or since he learned American soaps under JFP, maybe he won't care and just jam more plot at the viewers, hoping to regain a lost audience. We'll see what happens, but it's all on Mal now. No blaming anyone else. Y&R either rebounds or its ratings continue to ebb. 

• Members

Wow, this show feels frantic. Whoever said that things feel like watching with the fast-forward button on was right. Scott goes from his jail jumpsuit to all suited up and smiling after his arraignment within mere minutes.

The "catfight" between Lauren and Sharon was cringeworthy as was Gloria's slap of Billy.

Meanwhile, the Abby/Zack scene moved at a snail's pace while everything else was flying at a fast clip.

It almost feels like a parody at this point.

• Members

Well I have to say I watched at least.  Horrible of me but I had hoped that facial mask would have melted Snore-toria's face off.  I just don't care about her.  I don't want Sheila on this show but I still don't understand why Lauren's great friend Eric hasn't contacted her to tell her she's back.  Again. 

Scott isn't working for me.  Character is blah. 

Archived