Jump to content


kalbir

Y&R: October 2017 Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Taoboi said:

OMG!!!! Finally (thank you internet *side-eye*) finishing MONDAY and they just updated on Mary (Paul's mom) and that she had passed finally. Nice sullen beat.

 

That said...already hating Cane. Lily might as well go and do better.

 

For those who did not see that episode, what was said on-screen about Mary Williams and her death? Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, vetsoapfan said:

 

For those who did not see that episode, what was said on-screen about Mary Williams and her death? Thanks.

Jack was venting about the Dina drama to Paul. In the conversation, Jack mentioned that surely Paul can understand that a child would do anything for a parent. What if it was Mary God rest her soul or something to that effect. That if Mary had been kidnapped that relationship with Paul aside, Paul would be moving heaven and earth to find her.

 

I think it had been mentioned here that the last time Mary had been mentioned on screen that she had moved away so I was taken aback when I heard it.

 

ETA: SSM sure is getting her chance to have women tell their men off on Tuesday.

 

Nieither  Phylis nor Lily were lying though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Taoboi said:

Jack was venting about the Dina drama to Paul. In the conversation, Jack mentioned that surely Paul can understand that a child would do anything for a parent. What if it was Mary God rest her soul or something to that effect. That if Mary had been kidnapped that relationship with Paul aside, Paul would be moving heaven and earth to find her.

 

I think it had been mentioned here that the last time Mary had been mentioned on screen that she had moved away so I was taken aback when I heard it.

 

 

Thanks for the info. I do wish that TPTB had given more focus to Mary's death than an off-the-cuff remark by Jack, after the fact. But GH even ignored Jessie Brewer's death, so nothing surprises me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vetsoapfan said:

 

Thanks for the info. I do wish that TPTB had given more focus to Mary's death than an off-the-cuff remark by Jack, after the fact. But GH even ignored Jessie Brewer's death, so nothing surprises me.

For some reason, and maybe I’m re-imagining things, I’m not certain that’s the first time Mary’s death has been implied or outright stated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UK LAW said:

For some reason, and maybe I’m re-imagining things, I’m not certain that’s the first time Mary’s death has been implied or outright stated.

You might be right. I'm not sure as well. I was referencing the last time I was either a viewer myself or just reading others' comments when I was not a regular viewer. :)

 

ETA: BTW, liking MY first episode as well. lol.

 

Lily v Hilary is always fun.  And Loved the Ashley/Jack scene.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, JONNYSBRO said:

 

Wait so we blame Mal for his head writer coming to YR with nothing or no game plan and writing as went along. She dropped billy and phyllis to pimp Victoria and Billy. I am willing to give Mal 6 months to.jumpstart show. Its clear the cast adores Mal. Mal worked better with Pratt to be honest. The billy and phyllis fallout was fabulous and the stuff with Steve Burton awesome. Sally hadnt written in daytime for a decade and she didnt realuze things had changed. Sally didnt bring us the Bell era back. Alot of Sallys crap just went nowhere. It was clear her heart wasnt into it. She needed a Shelly Altman to help her steer the ship or co head write with her.

 

Uh...no.  Plan or no plan, Sally gets the tone, flow, and pacing of Y&R- all of that was spot on.  I don't think she was pimping Victoria/Billy- merely trying to set up an even-handed triangle, which I thought she was doing quite well.  Steve Burton's Dylan didn't finally click until his exit storyline- which SALLY wrote.

Let's be clear- NOBODY would be able to bring back the Bell era.  No one.   What she did bring back was quintessential Y&R and for my money, it was fabulous.  Every day I tuned in, the show felt like Y&R again, which it hasn't in some time.

Jonnysbro- you have a completely different expectation of Y&R than I do, so you can give Mal Young 6 years for all I care.  I know the Y&R that I adore and Mal Young isn't going to give it to me, point blank period.

18 hours ago, Taoboi said:

I have noticed that the general opinion is good first episode so I'm sure I will enjoy it as well, but scared for what's after...I could be wrong. We'll see.


I knew from the first episode the show had drastically changed.  I didn't find it to be even average, let alone good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Well junior YR just hit its highest ratings last week in over a year. If the ratings go up then Mal is a success. Sally though didnt bring me Bill YR. Only episode i liked she did was the abbot breakfast but she didnt have stories that captivated u. Bill knew how to write great stories. Honestly i thought Sally was much better in 90s days stint then she was at YR. Her head didnt seem much in it. She only gave 2 interviews. Also she was away from daytime for 10 years and i think that hurt her. So much has changed in this world. Its bigger budget cuts and u have to write and shoot faster. Even her exit interview she was fine with leaving. She even said herself her documentsry career is what was number 1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.  I don't care about ratings

2.  The episode you're talking about was an Abbott dinner, not breakfast.

 

3.  Call me when they hit an 8.8, like when the show was actually good.

 

4.  For the umpteenth time, I'm looking for quality, not ratings stunts.   Please stick to the thrill rides you're used to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, juniorz1 said:

1.  I don't care about ratings

2.  The episode you're talking about was an Abbott dinner, not breakfast.

 

3.  Call me when they hit an 8.8, like when the show was actually good.

 

4.  For the umpteenth time, I'm looking for quality, not ratings stunts.   Please stick to the thrill rides you're used to.

THIS.

 

But given someone is about one day ratings...:ph34r:

 

 

Made it to FRIDAY and the shift in tone has now become obvious. And like @UK LAW mentioned it does feel UK soap from what little I've seen with all over the place ness. And Thursday's episode had me SMH. I will give Wednesday episode my favorite of MY episodes so far on the strength of the Jack/Ashley scenes which still felt like old school Y&R to me.

 

But while there are some interesting things I can tell it is going to be a chord again to watch which it wasn't for the last 8 months. Makes me sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So done with MY's first week episodes.

 

I know I've been complaining, but that was just too fast. I mean the cliffhanger (which is was and I guess we can see MY might bring those back)...AT LAST!!!! Someone realizes that Zach is behind the sex ring...right as he is having sex with Abby. That could have had more of a build. In fact, it should have been building up after Alice vanished. But BAM!!! Scott puts together that by researching Natalia and finding her pic on the very dating app Zach and Abby have been working on. Nice to see a turn but too abrupt.

 

WHAT I LIKED SO FAR

 

I can't say enough about that Jack/Ash scene last wed.

 

Bitca Lauren being back.

 

Humor. it's very cheeky, but I like it. So is it going to be a running joke of women slapping Billy?

 

So movement in that Vicki illness story.

 

Seeing Sharon/Mariah scenes again.

 

WHAT I DON'T LIKE

 

Missing beats. So far,  it is not bad, but you can tell things are happening offscreen...nicely covered for now, but it will not work long term.

 

Cane's quick turnaround. And STILL being smug.

 

Lily. Glad to see her free, but I don't want her aimed at Nick.

 

Dina. There has to be a better way to reveal her secret to Jack and Ash without the silliness of Martini Time.

 

Overall: Wait and see for me. Main stories was Dina (and some of that was mostly offscreen aka bad form) and Scott/sexring which is mildly interesting and Vicki/B&S...which could get interesting again if it turns into a mystery over the face mask.

 

B plot would be setting up a Lauren/Sharon rivalry...which I assume is going to dial into a Scott/Abby thing thus him finding out about Zach being the leader.

 

C plot would be that Newman regroup at the hospital.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, juniorz1 said:

1.  I don't care about ratings

2.  The episode you're talking about was an Abbott dinner, not breakfast.

 

3.  Call me when they hit an 8.8, like when the show was actually good.

 

4.  For the umpteenth time, I'm looking for quality, not ratings stunts.   Please stick to the thrill rides you're used to.

You said it

I think eventually Mal is going to get a co HW, or a Story Consultant,or he will go back to solo EP and they will hire a new HW. 

After the first of the year. (Hopfully!)

Edited by oakdalelover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

No CBS loves Mal doing both. He did it in the UK its not new for him. He would much rather run the whole show with a cohesive vision. So far ratings are up CBS is happy. They werent happy with Sally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JONNYSBRO said:

 

 

No CBS loves Mal doing both. He did it in the UK its not new for him. He would much rather run the whole show with a cohesive vision. So far ratings are up CBS is happy. They werent happy with Sally.

Jonny, if I may ask, how do you know? 

You are always saying this producer likes this actor,this cast loves this HW. This network loves this writer.

The material coming is going to be great.

Are you an insider? Do you work for a soap? Are you related to someone?

What are you sources? Give us links to your information?

Have you spoken personally with Mal? With someone at SONY or CBS?

If it is just your opinion and you don't really know,why not label it as such?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JONNYSBRO said:

 

 

No CBS loves Mal doing both. He did it in the UK its not new for him. He would much rather run the whole show with a cohesive vision. So far ratings are up CBS is happy. They werent happy with Sally.

It isnt a secret that Amjelica MCdaniels loves Mal and so does the cast. Sally never appeared publicily with the cast. She was never in there insta pics and she was also exec prod and her hubby Tonya is also a producer and i see him in cast social media pix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, oakdalelover said:

Jonny, if I may ask, how do you know? 

You are always saying this producer likes this actor,this cast loves this HW. This network loves this writer.

The material coming is going to be great.

Are you an insider? Do you work for a soap? Are you related to someone?

What are you sources? Give us links to your information?

Have you spoken personally with Mal? With someone at SONY or CBS?

If it is just your opinion and you don't really know,why not label it as such?


the question of the day.....which I also would like an answer to, because it seems like Johnny just makes this stuff up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...