Y&R: October 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So, do any of the chemists and lab workers at Brash and Sassy have actual speaking parts?

All are WOC yet they don't give them anything to do or say besides being barked at by Billy.

Yesterday, there was yet a different dayplayer Black doctor.  I'm sensing a pattern here...

Please register in order to view this content

Not to mention, Lauren and her 4-ton weave barrels straight from the doors of the GCPD and barrels through the doors of Crimson Lights without a beat.  Not even a commercial break.

Scott's arraignment takes all of 4 minutes.  No suspense.

Issa Mess!

• Members

I did tune out for awhile, but I've caught up. Everything by Marla has been excellent.

The scene where Phyllis confronted Billy and slapped him had some excellent music, actually had me re-watch it. 

I thought the Gloria slapping Billy scene was pretty good from Judith Chapman and they are using her at just the right pace.

Agree that the pacing is quick, but the show feels like it has energy again. Even Amelia Heinle was good, although they need to cut back her screen time. The show also looks better. Not a fan of all the camera work, but I feel a lushness/fall vibe to it.

Everyone on here is once again quick to judge, and look for opportunities to prove that they know best and were right. 

The only way I can see Paul being anti-Scott is because of his son Ricky. He was anti-Ricky from the get-go and maybe he believes Scott is heading down a similar past given his reporting past. I hope that this is the angle

• Members

I'm surprised to see so much positivity around the net because I see an instant drop in quality. The show is technically fast paced, but like with LML it feels long because it's so plot driven. I see all the dramatic elements being taken out which often happens when soaps try to imitate prime time shows. A perfect example is Victoria's headaches. The explanation came out of nowhere and completely killed any potential that story had whether it be the feud with Abby or even tying the toxic mask into a larger Brash and Sassy story. 

So far the only thing I've enjoyed is Dina's story which did have a nice touch when Jack and Ashley found her. Marla Adams is so delightful I just can't see myself not loving that story regardless of the writing. 

• Members

That's exactly how I felt, especially watching yesterday's episode.  That's why yesterday, I posted that the show felt "frenetic". 

I definitely felt a sharp turn on that story.

It feels as if MY wasn't satisfied with SS story of Victoria suffering the longterm effects of a concussion that wouldn't get better because she wouldn't take the necessary time off to get better. 

It almost feels like MY thought he had to make it more wild and threw in this toxic poisoning.

I don't see why some think we shouldn't be allowed to critique MY. He may have just started as HW but hasn't he been at the helm for more than a year now? 

• Members

Exactly, it was like it was  on speed. It was rushed. Especially the scenes with Lauren today. You could get whiplash the way those scenes flew by.

Exactly. I'm pretty sure MY was responsible for a lot of the changes during Sally's tenure.

I just hope the pacing slows down once some of the previous regimes' stories have been wrapped up (sex trafficking, Snortoria's toxic face 'mask'). 

• Members

For decades, I was captivated by the soaps written by Irna Phillips, Agnes Nixon, William J. Bell, Henry Slesar, Pat Falken Smith, Roy Winsor, Harding Lemay, Rick Edelstein, Claire Labine, Jane and Ira Avery, Gordon Russell and Sam Hall, Douglas Marland, and others...and I just took high-quality writing for granted. I laughed at ignorant critics who looked down on soaps, because the proof was right there every day on my TV screen, how great daytime drama actually was. Sadly, I should not have expected the good writing to last. We have not seen any of it in what, more than 20 years?

Archived