Least satisfying return

• Members

I think Tina suffered from the same syndrome as Erica Kane...being written for as if she was always the scheming young bombshell. Also, in Tina's case, many of her lies and machinations through the years were borne out of fear, desperation, loss...and when she was in danger of being found out or someone had control over her in some way, it usually did make her more afraid and desperate. I think that's one of the reasons she was popular, because she did bad things basically for the need of wanting to be loved or holding onto her family, as opposed to just being nasty like Dorian. As a young character, which I do remember from when she was still Tina Clayton instead of Tina Lord, those qualities were written with seriousness. As a middle-aged woman, they wrote it corny. I don't think they quite knew what to do with her except make her a supporting player in other stories.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Absolutely Lisa Rinna's last return to DAYS. At first her acting was shaky, but she quickly regained her footing and was only used as a Talk To the once a week she'd appear. I thought she had chemistry with everybody and obviously the character is useful to the show but they never pursued anything which is so weird. I could understand if she had one story that flopped and they simply gave up trying, but they literally never even attempted a story with her.

I'd also agree with Lorie Brooks' return on Y&R. They could've completely revitalized that family but it seemed as if the writers had no idea who Lorie was and completely blew it. I still long for her to return with Brooks, especially with so many stories about the news media from Restless Style to now GC Buzz. That family is such an obvious choice to bring back and with Victor and Nikki ending again they could easily pair Lorie with Victor. Throw in a few guest appearances from John McCook to help root Brooks back into the canvas and you're all set. I'd rather see that than them still trying to make Gloria and Kevin work.

• Members

Any James Stenbeck return after his last run under Marland. His return in the mid 90s with David Stenbeck was dreadful. I will never forget that foul story of David being implied to be Lucinda and James' child, which was farfetched as Lucinda didn't know James until arriving in Oakdale. While his return under Hogan Sheffer was fun (for the simple fact it gave Babs and Hal tons to do), it got wacky after awhile. He should've remained dead after Babs killed him in Hong Kong. Reviving him almost a year and half later with some new bastard child (Jordan Sinclair) was pointless. And don't get me started on his last run on ATWT where it was revealed that he was Henry's father and Lucy Coe (of all people) killed him once and for all. 

Please register in order to view this content

I thought Eddie Winslow Malcolm's return was horrid. It was just a redux of Neil/Dru/Malcolm in the 90s. Sofia would get knocked up by Neil and then leave. They had no direction for Malcolm at all. 

Nate Hastings while it was a few episodes, why tease us and bring him back to operate on Chance and then usher him out of town to never be heard from again? This show so needs a that medical central character and it would've been interesting to see him play opposite Stitch. 

Phillip "Chance" Chancellor was a horrible return too. I liked John Driscoll on GL and thought he was a good little actor. Much like all the young characters during that time, there was no vision for him. I feel like MAB just brought him to show the fans that "knew" history. She flopped on each and every story he was in. Especially, the story with Nina's long lost child, Ronan. That whole story just burns me to this very day. 

• Members

You said no lies. Nate was just disgusting, don't forget Olivia though. Tonya Lee Williams was such an amazing actress so well integrated into the canvas and once she was off contract it was like she didn't even matter. Her two episodes on B&B did more for the character than any of her Y&R returns. It's disgraceful. Every former actor that MAB brought back had at least one story except for Tonya. She jumped in and immediately left and nobody cared. Same with Nate, at the very least they could've used her to reintegrate him. I hate how they treat Tonya. Say what you will about Victoria Rowell, but there are no excuses for how they ignore Tonya like she isn't a popular Y&R vet. 

• Members

I don't like how people treated TLW/Olivia either. I'm gonna say it too (and might be crucified), but even Bill Bell did her disservice at times. While Dru was my spirit animal, I adored Liv, and felt they always used to give her the shaft. Sad b/c TLW carried Y&R right alongside VR in the early to mid 90s. The Winters/Barbers were the main attraction (at least for me). 

That Keesha storyline was the most powerful story I felt Y&R ever told. I was entranced by TLW's performance that entire arc. I can still remember that scene when Dru and Olivia read the sh-t on Nate when he tried declaring his rights to Nate Jr. I'm gonna also add that scene when Dru told Olivia about Nathan bedding Keesha, tossing Dru out, and breaking down in a heap. I always said Y&R's strongest actresses during that time were Tonya, Vicky, Jess, Heather, and Tricia. Tonya never got the attention she deserved.

• Members

Jacqueline Courtney's shockingly-mishandled and ultimately-failed return as Alice Frame on Another World, 1984. Writer Gary Tomlin later admitted that he knew little of the character, never bothered to study her history, and obviously had no idea what to do with her. To add insult to injury, the show kept her in hideous, mannish clothes a lot of the time, and had Alice's hair cut ultra-short and butch. What a waste!

• Members

Yes to all. Alex could've stuck around in '99 and something could've been made out of it, but they only offered her recurring while AMC gave her a contract. India was another case of getting the character/actress back, and figure out a story later. Dylan's 2007 return in the form of Brian Gaskill was horrific. I don't think that actor was successful in any of his soap roles other than PC's Rafe. Otherwise, he just looked dirty, depressed, and gross. 

• Members

Seeing as I know better know and have seen the original arc of Nola, I totally agree. I think that having Nola back could've actually stopped the bleeding missing from the void of Maureen, and they should've somewhat pushed Nola to be the next Springfield matriarch as she was connected to the Bauers by Ed/Maureen. 

Watching Nola obsess over basic, yokel Buzz wasn't cute either looking back at it. It was totally out of character for her. I doubt that Nola would go from rich, worldly Quint to loud-mouthed, scenery chewing Buzz. I just don't. I'd imagine that Nola would still want to live high and mighty seeing as that was a primary characteristic of Nola's. 

• Members

I could have seen no la set her sights on josh..given that they flirted back in the early 80s..and he was well off....and vanessa would have felt protective keeping Nola from Josh.

For me, I think the most unsatisfactory return was Julia Santos on AMC.  She was given next to nothimg to do except a fling or two..plus being a talk to for Annie.  The only promising thing given to her was the fact she was a foster mom to tad/dixie daughter with no one realizing.  All that build up to a possible custody case...and Julia is randomly shot and dies.

• Members

Oh, I had forgotten Olivia's return in 2008 to Y&R. I was so happy to see her back, yet only to see her prop the character utterly ridiculous character Tyra. So bad. After that her and Nate were so improperly used. Nate should have absolutely been "the doctor Leslie met online and had randomly married."

Yeah, Nola's return was pretty bad. The first year I don't remember her doing much besides being a busybody to Vanessa and then busybodying into Michelle and J's relationship. The less said about the triangle with Jenna and Buzz the better. Quint's return was nothing to speak of, can't believe they even recast Tylo with Josh Taylor for a moment there! 

Both of Northrop's returns were bad. His entire 1991-1994 run seems almost pointless in retrospect(aside from the Sami stuff but still) and his 2005 return, all silliness(the only time it was entertaining was with that equally crazy Dr. Lois character in play) aside would have only worked if he was back to replace Josh Taylor in the role. 

• Members

I would have to agree that JC's return in 1984 had so much potential, and it was totally wasted.  I would add Nancy Frangione's return in October 1995.  Cecile's previous returns were always a big deal for longtime AW fans.  JFP brings her back, saddles her with the historically inaccurate storyline that Cass is Maggie's real father, then Cecile unceremoniously leaves town in the Summer of 96 never to be seems again.   There was a time that AW would have done anything to have Frangione back on the show for the long term, but JFP was not really interested in using Frangione to her potential.  Remember how they never gave her a contract and her name was listed in the credits with the under-5s who appeared that day and how they did not put her in the new opening credits because she was a "recurring" character. Had Frangione stayed with the show, she could have married Cass in the last episode rather than Lila. 

Archived