Dynasty: Discussion Thread

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It wasn't Samms that was horrible: The super-soft writing of her character, which actually started to take shape a year before Martin left, was the problem. With the recast, The Colbys storylines abandoned any sense of the strong Fallon we'd known.

When Samms returned to Dynasty, things started to improve. Then come season 9, credit the new EP David Paulsen. In an interview, he described his first time meeting Samms, getting to know her personality, and realizing the essence of Fallon was right there in front of him... But the previous writers had been ignoring her fire in favor of having her play a shrinking violet. 

• Members

100% on point.

It was the writing that was the issue with Fallon, even during Martin's Seasons 3 and 4. The otherwise superior COLBYS unfortunately never got Fallon right. What was Samms to do when she was ordered to play her the way she was?

She was fantastic in Season 9.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I watched two episodes of season 1 and the most recent episode with Alexis and the fire.  I can't stop wondering why it is called Dynasty?  The characters have the same names, but the similarities stop there.  It has none of the humor, or the glamour, of the original, it doesn't follow the same story, there is very little suspense, and they don't even live in Denver.

I understand that the original does not hold up well, but I have no concept of why an 18-39 year old would be interested in a remake in name only of a twenty-year-old series?

Edited by j swift

• Members

Agreed. It is Dynasty in name only.

The original series holds up well season 2 - 4 (aka the early Joan years), while season 5 is a wild mess culminating in the Moldavian Massacre. 

Ultimately, the show is a total disaster. I'm just glad we got to see Joan on AHS to see where Alexis actually wound up (still in Nolan Miller costumes, naturally). 

• Members

I've had a pretty casual viewership, and it seems like the Friday nights when I was actually home to watch, the show wasn't airing. I've been a little confused by the schedule. At any rate, what bugs me the most is the way they fudge around with character relationships. Suddenly, Dominique is the Colby matriarch? And maybe I'm better equipped as a soap fan, but I don't think it's necessary to use outlandish story tactics when an actor is to be replaced. I still haven't watched all of the faux Cristal stuff, but they could've just replaced the actress. And now borrowing the O.G. Steven plastic surgery route for Alexis? The writers are probably grateful that they get to pull such stunts on an otherwise mediocre show.

Edited by SFK