Y&R: August 2016 Discussion thread

• Members

It seems like Natalie may be out, the actress isn't on contract and she said she doesn't want to just be friends with Kevin. Mariah has worth if one cares about Sharon even if she isn't dating Kevin. If they make Billy the child via sperm donation of Chloe's kid Bella, that would be pretty pointless as we saw her take "his sperm", it would be potentially more interesting if she ended taking up someone else's and they were the Dad. 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

agreed. The character was done as soon as the writers pulled the plug on the Pass Key S/L and made Natalie a stuck up nouveau riche B. Like Marissa, they dropped the adoption/orphanage like with Victor, but, like Marissa, it was dropped. 

I'd rather than EH & Chloe anyway. There's lot of history and it brings Estee and, eventually, Jill into more scenes. I actually think Jill will be happy about Bella even if it'll be a bump for Villy.

• Members

I see the ratings continue to sink and the show continues to stink.  I've been ride or die for Victor since I first started watching the show but he's just insufferable now.  The last straw for me was him getting out of prison on that ridiculous intelligence insulting appeal and then Phyllis agreed to team up with him after what he did to her.  I'm over forgiving and forgetting with Victor.   He never apologizes or admits wrong doing, it's always someone else's fault for the crap he pulls.  Co dependent willfully blind Nikki makes me sick as well.  She looks like a complete idiot defending her crime boss husband.  The show should move as far away from Victor as possible at this point.  He's a horrible person who gets away with murder on a regular basis, he's a narcissist and he's pathological.   If JH is going to take a break he should just leave.  Enough of him in prison"suffering".  He's boring. 

EH is a pleasant surprise for me.  I never really liked her with anyone but Ronan but with this cast and the characters with the way they've been systematically dumbed down she's a shining star.  They'll probably put her with Kevin which will be the kiss of death for her. 

• Members

So lemme get this straight.  Victor, a man who just got out of prison and sent his son to prison for 30 years for a crime he didn't commit, and Phyllis, a woman who until very recently was screwing her ass off with with her brother in law, are plotting to break up Summer's wedding to a man that she loves and that loves her.  And who's hot, makes her happy and satisfies her in bed.  It's so ironic and yet the characters (Victor and Phyllis) are completely un-selfaware and unfortunately the show seems to be clueless as well.  Summer and Luca are the only couple with any chemistry whatsoever and they have it by the truckload.  They're so natural together so of course they must be destroyed.  It doesn't matter to me what shady crap Luca is up to.  Whatever it is, it can't compare with Victor's rap sheet or even Phyllis's for that matter.  Arson anyone?  Hit and run?  Hopefully they won't get rid of Luca.  The best scenes today were his and Summer's followed closely by Luca calling Travis on the yacht or the Orca from Jaws whatever that was.

• Members

Why is it stupid? It's a standard soap trope, and there's nothing wrong with it. What matters is the execution.

Y&R is MASSIVELY improved since Mal Young arrived, yet this board gives him and the show too little credit. So much is better -- the sets, lighting, direction, wardrobe, hair -- and those elements matter. They even elevate Pratt's writing. 

Scripts seem more character-driven lately, too. So what do I read here? They're "boring."  This stuff is so much better than the plot crap we were getting with explosions and fires.

Is the show perfect? No. But it IS much better, and due credit should be given.

• Members

Mal has done a great job, from what I'm reading. I'm still back in June myself. The problem that's keeping me so far behind is UpChuck's writing. He needs to be gone ---yesterday.

Where I am viewing, I wanted to mention how much I think Melissa Ordway has improved as Abby. I'm at Max's diagnosis in my watching. Sean Carrigan's Stitch---who I liked at first, but got very tired of, also stepped up a bit in these scenes.

HK has improved a little, but I attribute that to a good scene partner, and working with acting giants like Dianne Wiest, James Brolin, Betsy Brandt, Thomas Sadoski,Colin Hanks, etc. on Life in Pieces. Working with pros like this, I'm sure they let her know to not sleepwalk through scenes. 

Bringing Jill back as a force to be reckoned with and not blah like her past several returns under JFP, was the best shot in the arm the show has seen in a long time.

Villy as the end all, be all story on the show needs to stop. Heinle is and has always been a supporting actress. (but whoever cast Travis--nice job).

I haven't seen anything except positive comments about Mal here. As soon as Pratt gets his walking papers, I'm sure there will be a party on this board!

• Members

I can't believe Kevin is a modern day Christine between Natalie, Mariah, and Chloe

I don't have a problem with Mal's production values so far and it's great we've got Jill back, even in the opening credits! However the continuing problem is that I feel the show is still stuck on stupid with Pratt's two albatrosses he's created--Sully's true paternity/maternity and Sage's missing diary pages. Neither story had to happen and really I feel the last three months of watching are a WASTE OF MY TIME! Surely instead of waiting for Pratt's contract to up this fall they can find some type of loophole to fire on grounds for writing such idiocracy. 

• Members

modern day Bug! Love it. It's a sad commentary when Kevin is the 'not-so-young' male romantic lead. If anything, Luca should have lots of women after him, but they've chosen to isolate him with Summer. This is where devious Mariah would've worked - like when she first came on the show. Regardless, erasing Noah and Travis has hurt more than it should. 

So we're left with several under-30 women stuck with much older men (Lily, Mariah, Abby) and other viable women (Hilary, Chloe and Chelsea) just stuck. The show is vey unbalanced right now. 

Archived