B&B Maya's Secret

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If it had been the plan all along for Maya to be transgender, then yes they should have hired someone who wasn't cis to play the part. My issues come about due to the baby, as unless Maya is also intersex, this isn't going to work as how could Maya adopt a kid at her age. Then again while Maya can be transgender, would B&B enter the fray by making her born "male", but also having a uterus, so she could have a biological child, she carried to term.

• Members

I've gotten to the point whenever a showrunner/writer claims "This was the plan all along." They are usually talking out their ass. There was a time when soaps planned things out that far in advance but those days are long gone. I think it's obvious they looked at the success of OITNB and Transparent and just jumped on the bandwagon. I'm not going to fault them for that. Part of being groundbreaking is accepting that others will copy you.

This story will live or die on whatever they do from here on out. Trying to filter previous story through it is just a quick way to Crazytown.

• Members

I don't even get the argument; the story was decided in December per KM's interview for a character already on the canvas. When KM was introduced the show didn't even have a gay character, let alone a transgender one. Hell this show didn't even have a black actress pulling lead for a major storyline. Looking at this all glass half empty, completely glosses over what this story represents, especially in a medium like soaps, that continually fails at showing any type of minority, outside of twinky white gay guys with no chemistry and no acting ability.

Until the story plays out, why focus on what didn't happen instead of what is happening, and that's major progress.

• Members

It will be interesting to see which characters Brad & the writing team will choose to be intolerant, hateful and mean. If they want to portray it as realistic, there is no way everyone on canvas can be OK with this. That would actually be a disservice. I mean, seriously, if Caroline is all accepting, that would be beyond bizarre considering the history between the two. Now that doesn't mean people who aren't accepting can't be brought into productive discussions. For example, it's clear from the 'threat' $Bill dropped in January that he has known, so I'd expect that he wouldn't care - it's OK if characters are indifferent.

Oh, and Maya's 180 in this fall is what brought me back to regular viewing. It was so awesome that B&B finally had a legit diverse leading lady (remember this is a show based in LA and has had how many Latino/Asian characters?). The other part is that I genuinely like KM - the actress is first class all the way. Even though B&B has a terrible history in presenting social issues (see Brooke's promised return story which has flopped on every level), I want to be optimistic. B&B is in a tough spot though with Rick - if he dumps her - so much for the tolerance and pure 'love' story - especially since we KNOW Maya fell in love with him without knowing he was rich. If he stays with her, how will there not be fall out for Forrester?

• Members

Thank you!

Clearly, this wasn't the plan from day one in December 2012 when it was announced that she and LSV were joining the cast. Duh. No argument there.

We'll find out the backstory of the baby next week. There ya go.

Just watching and rewatching the scenes, not only is it a first for B&B to have a transgender character, but to have a leading black female in a major role that isn't some B.S. one-month story arc (Hi, Marcus' texting scandal!) And the viewers are invested in Maya. This is big on both fronts. We've had her for two years already, and they already worked out the kinks and figured out what works and what doesn't work for her as a character (just as they had similar growing pains for Caroline, when she went from boring blonde to ditzy Instagrammer to a nice blend in between). And thank God they hired a dynamic actress to play Maya's sister! There's legs here, and I hope both characters stick around for years to come.

Archived