B&B Maya's Secret

• Members

Karla's an ok actress so I'm not surprised she did well with the story.

However if B&B was at a loss of what to do with the character they should have just written Maya out temporarily instead of having KM play a character that rightly should be played by a transgender actress.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Me too. I quit two weeks ago because I'm about to have a lot less time on my hands for TV watching. I can't believe I missed this.

Khan:

This much has been clear for at least 15 years. I do hope he does this story justice, even though the casting is...wrong, imo.

• Members

It's never bothered me when hetero actors play gay or lesbian; I think that in the end it is acting, and it's there to illuminate a story, sometimes a story with a social conscience or a real message. I don't think there's any difference between that and a non-transgendered actor playing a transgendered character. I think Karla Mosley is up to the challenge, but I have my doubts B&B is. That being said, I applaud them for making such a bold choice with a character who has been around for years and who fans know and enjoy.

• Members

In an ideal world acting would just be acting. But it the world isn't ideal.

And for transgender actresses like Laverne Cox & Calpernia Addams who are fighting for roles & respect in a industry where work is already scarce because cisgender actors (like Jeffrey Tambor & Felicity Huffman) are playing (and reaping rewards for) parts they should be playing is more than a little offensive.

• Members

You're being idealistic.

How many romcoms is Laverne Cox being cast in? How many superhero films is Harmony Santana being cast in? None.

Jobs are few and far between for them & even the roles they ought to be playing they can't play because the industry would rather cast cisgender actors.

It's why Jared Leto can win an Academy Award for Dallas Buyers Club while Calpernia Addams is relegated to the shadows.

• Members

I don't think they should have fired her either, but they could have brought on a new character to tell this story. I can't really get behind the idea that looks don't matter for a trans character. To me this is more similar to hiring a white actor to play a black character than it is to hiring a straight actor to play a gay character.

Archived