B&B Maya's Secret

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I remember that. But that wasn't people leaving because they didn't want to see a transgender story line right? It was more that some people didn't think Bianca should be with someone who used to be a guy.

B&B has always been uneven, so I won't be surprised if this goes wrong and people get pissed, but that's not the same to me as people tuning out because their minds are closed to the character.

• Members

That sentiment is certainly used that way by a number of people in the industry and I think that's wrong. But as for the actor and talent issue in and of itself, it's still how I feel and I think it's a cornerstone of the profession. For example, I thought Tom Hanks playing gay in Philadelphia was incredibly important for the times we lived in and for me as a little gay kid growing up. Work like that had a real effect. I didn't come for him because he doesn't suck dick in real life, and I'm not going to do that here with this.

We don't live in a perfect world but we do live in a changing one, and to me, IMO, the way to keep changing it is to keep telling these stories with different people, with different characters, and yes, sometimes, with bankable, marketable stars who can deliver that message to a mass audience and therefore broaden the larger scope for all sorts of actors and talents and stories. I don't think we'd be sitting here talking about a lot of these recent film and TV projects (or soap storylines) happening if not for some of the other performances and films that went mainstream. It's not a perfect solution or a perfect process, but it is an arc of change and it has its own validity. It's just my two cents.

• Members

Yeah, I'm one of the people who gave up in AMC during that story and that was back when I basically came and went with Eden/Bianca. Usually just having Bianca on screen was enough for me but that whole story just felt wrong. I don't know what their intentions were but it felt like an inauthentic stunt designed to satisfy people who wanted to see Bianca with a man. Zoe/Zarf was one of the only times I ever walked away from AMC when Bianca was on screen.

I'll be honest, I always shy away from discussing trans stories because I'm unsure of the terminology and as someone who's never had to question my gender identity or sexual orientation, the whole phenomenon/syndrome/condition/situation (see what I mean about terminology?) leaves me feeling unsure of how to approach a conversation. But when I see a black actress, cis or not, on a show that for most of its run was one of the whitest, straightest, most vanilla shows in existence, given a chance to tell this kind of story I can't help but be thrilled for how far the genre has come in the last few years.

Archived