X Files to possibly be rebooted

dragonflies

• Members

Fox has confirmed talk of rebooting X files and wants David and Gillian to reprise their roles

64deb9d77cb9c061a8d9ff785da7da60

" data-width="466">

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

FOX wants to do a reboot series, with Carter and possibly Duchovny & Anderson.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/17/fox-x-files/

Two thoughts:

#1: HOLY CRAP, THERE'S A CHANCE CARTER, DUCHOVNY & ANDERSON WILL REUNITE??

#2: Wow, FOX must be REALLY desperate. I don't think I'd like to see this without the original cast, or at least some combo of the two.

• Members

I don't see this as an idea that wouldn't work, especially if it was some sort of continuation, it involved the people behind the original and Carter learned his lessons from previous mistakes. There would be interest from new viewers and certainly the very, VERY passionate fanbase. After all, there seems to be a major push for supernatural/fantasy/scifi shows all over, so it's not a genre that couldn't flourish currently.

I think the main concern would be the execution. The original X-FILES may have had its fair share of clunkers but for at least half its run, it was above almost everything else in writing, producing, directing, even acting one could say, at that time. It was really dark, unafraid of being different. IF they could recapture that without dumbing it down (quite the opposite, they SHOULD make it smart), there is a chance.

Then again -- there are tons of other factors. Should be interesting.

• Members

I wouldn't want to see this done with another cast of people, however, I think the general premise and idea behind the show is evergreen and can be adapted as a continuation series if executed properly. However, it was Anderson and Duchovny that tied everything together made the show ultimately what it was.

It's funny, the show often gets sold as a cult show, but it was probably the Fox Network's first mainstream hit, and I believe the first show on Fox to ever finish a season in the top 15 of the highest rated shows.

• Members

I was never a big fan of the show, but I watched it off and on a little back in the day. I watch it on Netflix sometimes when I'm bored and there are some creepy episodes I remember from back in the day and good chemistry with the stars.

I see no reason why they shouldn't do some sort of short series thing - 7 or 12 episodes if the two stars are willing to commit. The audience is there. There's no need to bring Annabeth Gish or Robert Patrick back, and I think most of Chris Carter's scripts were pretty silly. They'd need to find someone to update that purple prose and some of those stories. The last few seasons were particularly hilarious, IIRC. I hope they give another shot to 24 too, since that short revival was also pretty okay.

• Members

I was never a huge fan of it, but never got truly into it, either. I think it could work but probably only if Duchovny and Anderson are involved. As a limited series, with them attached, I can see it doing well. They do the movies so I could see them willing to do a limited series.

• Members

The Fall only shoots part of the year in the UK and it's only five episodes (I have to start Series 2, thanks Netflix). Hannibal, it's unclear whether she is a regular this year or just a very regular guest star, but either way I don't see her role there lasting in an ongoing basis beyond Season 3. I think Gillian Anderson would find the time, particularly if she's the one out campaigning for it (and she is).

I want a New York Undercover reboot, but hey.

• Members

Don't get me wrong - I loved the X-Files, absolutely loved it. I even rocked an Agent Scully short red haircut for a while in the late 90s. But this show is over and done. I can't imagine the twisted logic that would be involved in a reboot at this point. I'm fine with letting it go and moving on.

Archived