GH: December 2014 Thread

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He's nothing like Jason, period. Even before Jason Morgan. He's just, basically, a slightly less Kool-Aid colored Billy Miller.

It's fine, as nobody hired Billy Miller for acting, they hired him because he was a "name" on Y&R, but I can see why some Jason fans would be disappointed.

• Members

And I don't see the problem with that. I think the plot is ridiculous, don't get me wrong, but no one close to Jason recognizes its him. It would be even more stupid if he acted exactly how he used to and they still didn't get it. At least the way its written, he is being portrayed differently so that makes it slightly more plausible that people don't pick up on the fact that he's Jason, new face or not. Again, its still dumb but it would be even harder to swallow if they hadn't made him different as a result of his new brain injury

• Members

The problem on it likely depends on how you feel about Jason. I never cared about Jason, so I don't care now. If I had cared about Jason, I might blanch a little at the character being an empty husk for yet another overpriced hire from a rival network.

• Members

After over twenty years of Steve Burton that works for me!

In all seriousness, I saw both Billy Abbott and his psycho character on AMC and I don't think he's playing either of those. It's certainly true that the Billy character on Y&R at his worst, when the creative teams indulged the actor too much, got into a lot of bits of business and pulling faces and so on. But I never thought he didn't have talent.

AFAIC Miller's like a lot of latter-day soap stars - they start with some spark of talent or charisma, which he definitely had, and then sometimes they get overplayed and then overindulged by uncreative production teams. He's not the first star with that story, he's not even the fiftieth and he likely won't be the last even now. But at GH he could easily be doing what Michelle Stafford is doing, which is hijacking the material, eating the scenes and scenery and going totally apeshit all day everyday, pulling everyone's focus onto her-her-her. And he's not doing that, at all. I think on GH he is playing it pretty straight down the middle so far - a good, if confused guy with a murky past and a kind and lighter heart, especially since he doesn't have the baggage of his memories currently weighing him down.

They hired Miller to play a Jason who is not Jason but retains the instincts and the slowly-emerging memories, to play a new man, and he is doing that. He is not trying to upstage soft-spoken Becky Herbst or those little toddlers or chewing the sets. We can't fault him for cracking smiles or making jokes when the script calls for it and then say Billy Miller is going over the top. I was waiting for it and I haven't seen it. I've just seen a more nuanced take on Jason, especially Jason as a blank slate. If the upshot of this is a more empathetic, good-hearted version of the same character, who is ashamed of some of what he's done, I am all for it. I hope that's what they continue with. Steve Burton got handed the state of Tennessee for decades and was allowed to write his [!@#$%^&*] pyramid scheme into the show just to play an empty husk. This new Jason at least has some soul. He stops and stares at the portraits of the Quartermaines on the wall at GH. When was the last time Burton's gave a [!@#$%^&*]?

• Members

No offense to Rhino, but Jason as a mindless thug was a worthless character in my eyes. I don't hate Steve Burton, I thought he had potential with Sharon Case on Y&R when he first came on but he's fallen back into the emotionless zombie he played. Vee's not wrong in that. Maybe you like him too much that you can't be objective? It sometimes works both ways. Sorry.

I much prefer Billy Miller as the new Jason, hands down, in every way. I never ever ever thought I'd say that, but I do. And why does he have to be the exact same? His mind has clearly been fucked with. People seemed to hate borg Jason yet now they're crying because he's not? I don't get it. What am I missing here?

• Members

I think it sounds more like Billy Miller dislike than anything. I don't see him as playing what he did on Y&R. At all. He was cringeworthy on there and I can tolerate and even like him on GH. To each their own though. And I was one of the ones cheering him leaving Y&R and groaning when he joined GH.

• Members

Miller as Stone Cold is laughable! They hired a Daytime "celebrity" but NEVER recast Jason [no returns]! But that's fine as Miller will quit soon enough. That lucky break just might be right around the corner because he's got 2 upcoming PT appearances. Adios!

Bring back Burton - yeah, I said it!!!!!

Can Patrick and Carly have sex just once? They are so damn gorgeous together and I'm owed this after 8 damn years! They are The Right Kind of Wrong! But I guess I should settle for TIIC remembering they knew one another and were pretty good friends.

Missed yesterday's show [still weeping from the realization that SOA is finally gone]. Should I play catch up or it's not worth it?

• Members

It wasn't awful but I wouldn't bother. Mudder was crying over Nathan, Kelly Monaco was sleepwalking, Dante and Lulu added nothing, Liz and Jason spent the hour watching the news ... I wouldn't bother.

I agree about Patrick and Carly having sex. PLEASE! I was hoping with all the drinking they were doing they'd have a one night stand. Of course not.

And to each their own with Miller. I can't believe you'd want Burton back. Personally I could do without Jason altogether but I'm not hating on Miller and I thought I would be. He's the least of my problems with GH to be honest.

• Members

The best thing FV has done, among a plethora of best things, but the first among equals of best mind you, was to not cater to the rat eyed Burton. Hopefully he was so offended that nobody valued his so-called talent and/or the door literally hit him on the way out, that he has vowed never to return again.

It isn't amazing but rather perfectly obvious that the absence of Jason improved the show overnight. It was sad they brought him back but at least they had the good taste to give him en entirely new personality. Watching this blinking clod eat the show for 20 years and watching so many better actors pushed aside for him, I can't muster up much sympathy for Burton's fans. They had 15 years to enjoy watching the show decimated for his glorification, time to give literally every other actor on the payroll a chance to act.

Archived