Billy Miller joining GH

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's a complicated reaction. On the one hand I think Billy Miller is a talented actor and possibly incapable of playing the "old" Jason, the emotionless killer Steve Burton enjoyed. Hammy or not, he is too active a performer for it and at his best he can be very vibrant. So I think/hope they will finally reboot the Jason character - make him a mix of his Quartermaine past and his latter-day self and right the moral scales of the character a bit. That is the only way Jason can ever return and function on this show in a healthy way, no matter who he's played by. Jason Morgan is a dead zone and his extermination from the canvas was absolutely necessary. I also suspect he may have great chemistry with Kim McCullough. If they return him to the role of unrepentant mob enforcer and Sam's husband it will all be for naught.

OTOH, Miller is clearly not going to sign for too long without a score of outs. And in the end I think GH remains too focused on big 'gets' and big stunts vs. telling decent stories with their existing longtime cast. They're always dancing as fast as they can - look at what we did! Look at who we hired! Look at this twist! Look at this gag! The problem is with most of this these days there is no actual storytelling.

It also still doesn't excuse killing A.J.

• Members

In what role? Please let's not resurrect the bullshit spec of her playing NuRobin. That was complete fiction drummed up by crazy fans. GH will never recast that role, for very specific reasons pertaining to their trying to keep that longtime audience hooked on this endless storyline. But more to the point, Frank Valentini has always preferred the originals where possible. I believe FV wasn't even in favor of recasting Marty Saybrooke on OLTL for Dena Higley in 2006, and was only really interested in when it was possible they might have landed Sarah Brown (and Susan Haskell had turned Higley down).

• Members

I don't think he's exactly the second coming of Douglass Watson or anything, but I do think he has some things he's very good at, all of them the opposite of Steve Burton's Jason Morgan. I also think Y&R got lazy with him and decided he could do one thing very well and kept him at that. Soaps today, desperate and uncreative, do that with popular performers all the time, and most of those talented performers respond to it and get stuck in those ruts as well (or in the case of Michelle Stafford, it's a combination of the show and her own preferences, IMO). But I think Miller, while not exactly Sir Laurence Olivier, can do good work. Better than most of the leading men currently populating GH, certainly. The question is the writing and how they reinvent the character.

Archived