WoST- World of Soap Themes

• Members

I didn't realize she started the whole Steve/Alice/Rachael triangle that late. I assumed those video's were misdated because OLTL started in 1968, of course, I knew she wrote both at the same time.

So, does anyone know if Rachael and Alice's feud started before hand? Also, I thought the triangle is what saved the show so what all happened before hand? What were Rachael's early story lines?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I used to struggle to buffer clips from this site on [!@#$%^&*] 56k college Internet. You people have no idea how badly I used to want to watch Edge of Night. [!@#$%^&*] dial-up!

• Members

Remember when ABC Daytime was AOL exclusive? 1 hr 33 min to download OLTL's sunrise opening for Chrissake...

I recall an older gentleman comparing/contrasting early Rachel and Erica for me when I learned that they had the same origin on paper. He said that Rachel was more down to earth, more of an "around the way girl" (my words, not his), while Erica was more petulant and affected which was reflected in ways as simple as Erica's dramatic, "Mother!", and Rachel's shot from the hip, "Mom." That said, he felt that Lucci's portrayal of Erica so closely resembled Strasser's Rachel that he and others would have sworn that Lucci was encouraged to emulate Strasser. When it was announced that Strasser was leaving the show, there was press speculation that Lucci would jump ship and replace her, which makes very little sense to me, but maybe it did back then as AW was a hotter show.

Rachel was a department store model with glamorous ambitions but her dreams weren't as stratospheric as Erica's. She seemed content to marry well. And then better. And better.

• Members

I really wish I could have seen the stuff with her con of a dad, Gerald Davis. It would have been interesting to see what AMC would have done with Eric Kane had they brought him on in the seventies. Meanwhile, while Mark LaMura favored Albert Stratton, Susan Lucci didn't particularly resemble either of her on-screen parents. Imagine special guest star Gina Lollobrigida as Erica's glamorous and ethnic-looking favorite aunt she wanted to be like when she grew up (Lucci would have preferred her idol and initial mate, Sophia Loren, but they would have had better luck with G-Lo).

• Members

If anyone wants to see the full episodes of those AW clips, Eddie Drueding has them available for download at AWHP, on his disc that has 64-78 material. It's free to download, although he asks that you consider donating some money for site costs.

I remember going to WOST to look at the soap themes. That took forever. I had no ability to watch episodes. By the time I got high speed Internet, WOST had become a mostly pay site and I could only watch bits and pieces. And then it was gone.

• Members

Knowing Agnes Nixon, though, it's entirely possible we would have gotten Lainie Kazan instead. And not only would Erica not have been thrilled to see her Aunt Sylvia, it also would have explained her sudden and seemingly impulsive decision to undergo some, er, "nose management surgery."

• Members

I agree. Did Eric or Mona have any siblings, for example? And just how in the hell did they hook up in the first damn place? I would have loved to see these questions answered on the show.

Chances are, however, it would have meant bringing Silver, Goldie and maybe even Damon Lazarre (who I suspect might have been the father) back from the dead.

• Members

Hilarious. You know, when I was little, I thought SL was Jewish. My grandmother explained that she was Italian and most likely Catholic.

Years ago before I knew that storyline submissions would go straight to the circular file, I wrote a projection about Erica's nephew by Silver coming to town. It was a crossover storyline with The City, Sydney's chauffeur, Samuel, being the kid's father.

I wonder if there was ever even a throwaway line about an aunt, an uncle, a grandparent... Back at WoST, one of the members shared how he went to P&G in Cincinnati and read the Somerset bible. Years before Silver, Rachel had her own half-sister, Pammy. In the bible, she is expressly described and intended to be a Rachel clone. I wish we could have seen Erica, Mona, Eric, Goldie, Silver, and Mark all on at once.

Archived